1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg B-22-X

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Aquila0507, May 9, 2009.

1. Aquila0507

Aquila0507

As I was walking in Taos,NM last weekend looking for flea market type stores I noticed an amp that looked just like an SVT on the porch of a second hand store and my heart started racing. I bought it for twenty dollars and took it back home knowing the least I'd need is a new set of tubes. I looked under the hood and noticed all connections looked fine except for the 2nd channel wire and that it was a b22x made in NJ. I bought a set of tubes from fliptops(which listed a quad set of 7027A's but only sent me a pair, not cool) and popped them in and it worked and sounded great with a guitar and bass. I can't seem to find any info on this amp and would like to know more about them. Given that there is an echo rocker switch and a tremolo and vibrato preamp section it's designed for a guitar but a bass sounds great too. I think it's a 50 watt amp. Anyone else have any input?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg guitar amps aren't much different from the bass amps. Other than trem, or maybe a slightly different tone control voicing (or not), they make killer double duty amps.
  3. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    Wow, for $20 you couldn't go wrong!

If this is just the amp head I think you may "technically" have a B-42X, although the info inside the amp may very well say B-22X. Here's an excerpt from "Ampeg - The Story Behind the Sound" (pg. 150) that explains why I think that:

Ampeg continued its pattern of frugality with the B-22X Jupiter 22 and the B-42X Jupiter 42. Both amps shared the same chassis and circuit. These amps were closely related to the B-25/B-25-B circuit, but were a bit of an upgrade, since the Jupiters offered reverb, vibrato, and tremolo. The Jupiters were rated at 55 watts and had a tube complement consisting of a 5AR4, two 7027As, four 12AX7s, a 6CG7, and a 7199. Each of their two channels sported two inputs (bright and normal), volume, treble, bass, Ultra Hi and Ultra Lo. There were separate controls for tremolo, vibrato, reverb, and 'after-beat' - an effect similar to the 'repeat percussion' found on other Ampegs.

The main difference between the two Jupiter models was their configuration. The B-22X was an upright 2x12 combo amp, while the B-42X was a piggyback rig consisting of an amp head and a 4x12 speaker cabinet. Altec 417B speakers were available as an option on both Jupiters. Ampeg would repeat this pattern of using the same chassis for a piggyback/combo amp with the V-4/VT-22 and the V-2/VT-40."

It looks like that amp was introduced in 1969 and discontinued in 1971.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'll give you twice that for it and I'll pay for shipping!

:D

Only thing that's a slight bummer about that head is that 7199's aren't being made anymore and they're like $50 a tube. But if you move a couple wires around on the socket, you can use 6U8's, which are $7. If you're careful about not touching the things that can kill you, that's a safe and easy enough mod if you can solder. Or you could get a tech to do it in 5 minutes and charge you $50 ;)

http://site.tubedepot.com/pdf/7199_6u8.pdf
  5. Aquila0507

Aquila0507

Thanks guys great stuff. I do have the b22x because it was chopped by someone and its rigged with a board on the bottom plus it says it near the power and polarity switch but its rubbed off somewhat and also on the schematic. I've been meaning to check out the ampeg book at my local library cuz it seems thats about the only tech info i can get my hands on and I was hoping for some user input here. Fliptops gave me the $50 NOS Jan-Phillips tube which is sweet but you can get the sovtek for $20 at thetubestore and also other NOS for $30. I should probably buy some. I was surprised at the amount of bass the thing puts out at only 50 watts and after reading the comment on how it was based on the b25 whats your guys' thoughts on the b25's .
  6. Aquila0507

Aquila0507

Here's a picture of the 50-watt all tube jupiter. I recorded with it this summer in the poker room of the Albuquerque Press Club and this amp killed. For those of you looking for a nice tube amp to recored with good luck you can't find these babies laying around... or can you.
    [​IMG]
    I was down stairs rocking these.
    [​IMG]