1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg B-25- wanna use to re-amp in studio, cab problem

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by alexchavel, Apr 5, 2014.

1. alexchavel

alexchavel

Hello bassers

Just finished tracking all my bass for a record, DI into apogee duet onto an IPad.

Getting ready to re-amp the tracks, we've always tracked bass this way.

I have an old Ampeg B-25 head id like to use for tone, but only cabs I have are ampeg 8x10, and bergantino NV-215.

Both are 4ohm, the b-25 is 16 or 8 with dummy plug.

No go right? Even for short time to run all the tracks through?

My other head is another old thing, Solid state Traynor monoblock, nice beater for tour, but would rather not use it for record.

Any ideas?

2. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    You could rewire the Berg's speakers in series to 16 ohms for the recordings and then restore them to parallel afterward. Just run the + (tip) of the jack to the + of the top speaker. Then run the - of the top speaker to the + of the bottom speaker. Run the bottom speaker's - back to the sleeve of the input jack and you'll have a 16 ohm Berg. Someone will post a diagram if you ask, I'm sure.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    You can run the dummy plug and one of your cabs without hurting it, as both Jess Oliver and Bill Hughes have said those old Ampeg transformers can withstand going a little lower or higher, but to my ears it sort of tightens and compresses the sound a bit.

No chance of borrowing an 8 ohm cab? Or maybe your 810 is one of those newer cabs with the dual mode? You could use half the speakers in your 810 at 8 ohms, or even temporarily disconnect half of them until your recording's over if it doesn't have dual mode. Chris' idea sounds like a good one too, but the NV215 has three speakers...two 15"s and a mid cone, so would that idea still work?

4. alexchavel

alexchavel

Yeah, it's got the mid too...and I don't really want to mess with it too, I LOVE that thing!

How do you make a dummy plug? Is it just a 1/4" jack with some speaker wire?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Don't even need speaker wire. Just a 1/4" TS jack with nothing hooked up to it.

7. alexchavel

alexchavel

I think I can handle that :)

Going to pickup a radial x amp too

Thanks for all the info!