Ampeg B-25B - ideas for cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by unbasslichkeit, Dec 21, 2012.

1. unbasslichkeit

unbasslichkeit

I have a shot at a Magnavox-era B-25B this Christmas, which is something I have wanted for years. Its affordable, it's in great shape (looks like a damn museum piece), I'm playing in a roots band where things are pretty well mic'd up so volume is enough for my purposes. Most of all, though when I plugged into it...OMFG after all these years tubes tubes again tubes again nothing like it tubes... :hyper::bassist::hyper:

Anyway, I need to consider a cabinet for it and what I am thinking about is a compact 2X10 where I'd install separate input jacks on each speaker, being as the B25B has 16 ohm outputs, and plugging one into each output would be in keeping with the head specs. Does this make sense, or should I just keep a cab at 8 ohms and use a dummy plug like I've seen done elsewhere? (Fliptops.net also has a couple of 16 ohm 15's which I may consider.)

Any ideas? only bad news is (after tonite) no gigs till mid-January.

2. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Use two cables instead of the dummy plug I would be looking for very efficient EV, Altec or JBL loaded 15" cabs with this amp.
    Old sunn cabs are great.:bassist:

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

If you're going to go the 2x10 route, I would grab two 4 ohm 2x10s and just rewire the speakers for series instead of parallel. You could use one or both at any time. I doubt a 2x10 alone with only 55 watts would cut it, but then again, I use a 25 watt amp with a 2x10/1x15 combo so who amp I to talk ;)

Back on subject, if you weren't looking for compact, I'd go with a 2x15, do the separate jacks if you want, or just a single 16 ohm 2x15 cab. Should give you some nice thump. You could even do a series parallel switch like the original B25 cabs so you could use the cab at 4 ohms with other heads.

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1 to the 4/16 ohm 215.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    If you don't need huge stage volume, you may also consider doing a 4/16ohm 212. Can still get pretty good volume/thump at about 1/2-2/3 the size of the 215. Always fun playing big cabs though. Some work well in a bit smaller TL size boxes, so doesn't have to be an overly large 215.

+1 to giving up a little deep LF for high spl.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+2 go for an 8 or 16 ohm 2x15, and feel the bass.

8. Ben B

Ben B Supporting Member

I love my B-25B! I use 1 or 2 BFM Jack-12s with mine. It's loud enough for practice small gigs. The speakers are 8 ohm, so, I use the dummy plug when using one cab, and I made a series cable to use with both cabs.

9. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    2x15 all the way! I use one of these to rehearse with. It's a great sounding amp and paired with the original 2x15 it kills! [​IMG]

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Fliptops can build you a period exact 2x15 cab.

11. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Would love to find a nice one...A customer of ours plays a B-25 and it sounds wonderful :)