1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg B100R: Worth the Weight?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Fretless55, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Fretless55

Fretless55

Interested in a B100R combo to play with my old Pbass with flats. But at at 65lbs. I'm a bit wary...
    Wondering if it might be a better option to look for more transportable 15" cab to pair with an older GK 400RB to get that old school sound. I have seen a Bag End 15 listed here locally. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

The B100R is a GREAT amp. It's not light, but it's compact. You can handle it, man!
  3. unbasslichkeit

unbasslichkeit

I've had one for 5 years. Love it. Fits in the trunk of a Chevy Cobalt without much persuading. Mine was one of the last of the SLM Ampegs; guess that's why I kept it so long.
  4. Fretless55

Fretless55

5. spacebassed

spacebassed

St. Louis Music - Made in the good 'ol US of A.
  6. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Get the Ampeg B100R, you won't regret it.
  7. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    +1

Nice little combo, great tone.
  8. leemelone

leemelone

Get the casters for it. It makes a huge difference in moving it around. :cool:
  9. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

I love both of mine. Got them used (both under $200). I was once taking the speaker out of one and went right through the cone with a phillips head screwdriver. I've played 100 shows since without a problem, and pretty loudly as well. Just kind of wondering when it will fart out or split, but it hasn't. Sort of an experiment in durability.

Therefore they get my idiot (me) proof seal of approval.

Heavy shmevvy....my 71 Blueline, now THAT beast is heavy!
  10. tightbidness

tightbidness

^This. The B100R isn't a lightweight, but it's easy enough to lift in and out of a trunk and up and down a few flights of stairs.
  11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Get a cover for it. The textured vinyl covering is very fragile.

I have a Yellville B-100R. It's OK, and certainly as good as Ampeg ever built them in that new factory that lasted about long enough to get dirty before LOUD outsourced Ampeg manufacturing. :rollno:

I haven't really found any special magic in it, but I rarely use it as after this I don't gig anymore and I record direct...so a whole house full of great amps & cabs haven't been turned on in a couple of years now. :(
  12. Bongolation

Bongolation

That one handle is a real back-twister.

Any combo over 50# should have two side-handles, by federal law. ;)
  13. tightbidness

tightbidness

Agreed. The handle on the B100R is awkward. I pick it up and lift and from the bottom.
  14. Fretless55

Fretless55

Thanks for the input all.

Yeah, it's that 65lbs with one top handle that has me thinking that, even with its highly regarded tone, it maybe more of studio darlin' rather than a gigging rig...
  15. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Consider getting a Fender Bassman TV Ten, it weighs about 40 lbs and can get that warm, vintage tone.
  16. RCCollins

well, a different "warm, vintage" tone... and probably more expensive than a B100r... also only a 10" speaker, and I doubt it can get as loud... B100r is a LOUD hundred watter!
  17. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Yes. Has an awesome tone and gets quite loud for only 100W.
  18. Fretless55

Fretless55

Thanks again for the responses.

I was hoping also to get some opinions of my "Plan B" option of pairing my existing GK 400RB head with a Bag End s15d cab for a more portable old school sound.
  19. RCCollins

That might be lighter, but I wouldn't call it "more portable" since it involves 2 trips instead of one...
  20. dougjwray

dougjwray

That would give you great tone, too. But really, I don't think the Ampeg is that heavy. I've been gigging with one since 2000, and it's doable, for sure.