1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg B15 reissue(s)?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Jan 4, 2010.

1. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

All,

I has understood that Ampeg had reissued the B15 portaflex combo, so I tried to find it with no luck on their webs. When I googled though the entire internet, I saw that there's a page about it:

http://www.ampeg.com/products/diamondbluebass/b15/index.html

The page is though not accessible through the menu of the Diamond Blue serie.

The questions i've got now are:

1. Does Ampeg produce/sell a b15 reissue?
    2. Maybe Ampeg was selling a B15 reissue=
    3. Maybe there's a new reissue around the corner ?:bassist:

Thanks in advance!
  2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

1 - They did, the B15R, which was more of an update than a reissue (essentially a V4BH in B15 clothes) but certainly good in its own right.

2 - see above.

3 - Check the Portaflex club thread. A TBer with inside contacts had heard recent murmurs about a real reissue coming for the ampeg anniversary later this year.
  3. MonkeyG0D

MonkeyG0D

I've played through one of these things at a recording studio once, it was definitely the reissue, the front perspex plate coverering the valves has green led's illuminating the ampeg logo. sounded awesome playing it as well. I did find one on an american website once, not sure if it was a limited rerun though
  4. pmaraziti

5. pmaraziti

Unfortunately they clarified for me that the page I posted is indeed about the past non-faithful re-issue... :(
  6. Al Berry

Al Berry Gold Supporting Member

Ampeg did a reissue of the B15 Portaflex. Which I believe 2006 was the last production year.. It was made in St Louis by SLM Electronics and designed by original designer Jess Oliver & Ampeg..
    I have tried to get the B15R Portaflex directly from Ampeg after 2006, being an Artist..
    Nobody had any and wouldn't speak of why or when it might be available again.. Or , if it would be for sure..
    I already had two at the time, but heard they would be discontinued and knew I should store one..
    The manufacturing deal with Vietnam, who now builds (manufactures) have to be careful here!.. Ampeg may be a part of the reason the B15 will not be continued in the near future..
    I'm assuming manufacturing and trademark considerations..
    As well as an original design deal agreements.. legal stuff, etc..
    I have had the B15n and have owned a few B15R's .. And love them both equally..Ampeg and Jess did a great job on this one!
    I don't know if there will be another reissue of this great American tradition in Bass combo's..
    But, If it is I hope Jess lives long enough to reap the rewards, and it's built with the integrity it was born from.. Hopefully, in USA!
  7. prentice

prentice

At my local Sam Ash, I recently saw a used Ampeg "Portaflex" for sale. Not sure the model number, But it didn't look like anything like the old one. You could flip over the top and put the amp inside the cabinet, but it was much more modern looking - all black, no visible tubes sticking out. The amp section was pretty small, but I'm pretty sure it still had tube in it - there was a schematic on top of the amp. If there were tubes in it, however, they had to be arranged horizontally to save space.

I stumbled across this thread looking for information on it. I can't find any other information on it. Does anyone know what this amp is? Is it a B-15, or some other model #?

Prentice
  8. mrnasty

mrnasty

Ampeg lists the B-15R under "discontinued items" on its web site, so it looks like they no longer make them.
  9. stiles72

stiles72

Early '90's B-15T. Solid state head, 100 Watts. Had the same cosmetics as the other black and white SLM ampegs at the time. It even came with a kickstand like the early 60's Portaflexes.
  10. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

If it's like this one, B15 T (e-bay listing and not mine), it's not a tube amp it's solid state.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...fd8a210&itemid=120511056973&ff4=263602_263622
  11. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

The B-15R was discontinued in early 2007. In 2009, they found a dozen on a palette in a warehouse, and sold those through one of their big dealers. I had the pleasure of purchasing the last two, one I use as my main rig and one is one ice.

It is a great amp with wonderful tones and response. I absolutely love mine, and it keeps up fine with a drum kit and Marshall in a rock band. I'd love to find one of the original extension cabinets.
  12. prentice

prentice

LuvMusic,

Thanks. That's what I saw. I found the same listing on my own after posting. I must have thought the "T" stood for "tube" instead of "Transistor".

I've only been playing for a couple years, and I'm not much of a gear head (yet).

Prentice
  13. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

You've got to watch those marketing people! :D
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    there are rumors that now that ampeg is starting a heritage line that they're going to reissue the 1964 b-15n in a limited run. ampeg hasn't confirmed anything but the svt-cl, 810e, and 410 heritage models, but i have reason to believe that it's finally going to happen.

of course, we need to hammer them hard about re-releasing the navy random flair tolex they used for the first b-15's. you think blue checker is hot? it's nothing compared to navy random flair!
  15. stiles72

stiles72

1960 A-15 in Random Navy Flair...

[​IMG]
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    holy crap, stiles! where did that come from???
  17. Jefenator

Jefenator

There's a "new" B-15R on eBay right now. It's unclear whether it's NOS from a few years ago or new, new.

(Naturally, I get all my news & info from eBay seller's descriptions. ;))
  18. stiles72

stiles72

I stumbled onto that a few weeks ago, but now I can't find the link to the site! :bawl: They had it listed as a B15 - but as you can clearly see -it's an "A"!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. acubass

acubass

There are always B-15's popping up on eBay. I'm still not sure why there is such a cry for a B-15 re-issue when you can get a real one for less than what a re-issue will cost.

The only reson I can think of is that old parts break, but replacement parts can still be purchased for these old amps.

Also the B-15 re-issue had V4BH guts, those are for sale used as well. Get you one of those and an SVT-15. Bingo Bango, you've got a low wattage all tube rig. Which I see people wanting on TB all the time.

That being said I do realize B-15 is a B-15 and a V4BH + SVT-15 ain't.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    well at least you understand that much ;)

maybe some folks don't want a beaten up old portaflex or pay the ridiculous amounts of money a mint b-15 from the 60's goes for. plus a new one could possibly mean they could fix issues the old ones had, like the hideous latches they used, or the lack of footcups for the dolly, or the foam backing under the grillecloth that disintegrates and stains the cloth and makes it flap against the grille frame. and of course, if they can bring back navy random flair, that would be even better.

anyway, apparently the heritage shop is going to produce limited runs, and a limited run of b-15's would definitely sell out.