1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg B15N 1966

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by slotrod65, Jan 1, 2014.

1. slotrod65

slotrod65

My local shop has an Ampeg B15N which they state is from 1966. Can anyone give me some pointers of what to look for? My Wife was with me and I did not have the time to properly evaluate the amp. Both transformers appear to be originals based on the cases, but I plan on going back to really try it out. The salesman told me that the amp had been into their shop for a checkup and worked fine. I do not know if a cap job was done or anything like that yet.
    Any tips, or things to look for/watch out for will be appreciated.
    Thanks!!
    Fred

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Rally not much to look out for other than checking all the knobs and both channels to see if it sounds and works well, though a record of what was done to it when it was last serviced would be a good thing. You could take a look at the tubes and see what kind they are. I would check and see what kind of a speaker is in it, too. A 66 should come with a CTS that has an Ampeg sticker on it or a JBL D130F. If it doesn't have one of them, it doesn't make it a bad buy or anything, but you might be able to use it for leverage to get a few bucks shaved off the price.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Here are some buying tips that you might find helpful.

Let us know how it goes.

Mpacificar likes this.
  4. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

If there's a CTS inside , part of the number stamped on the magnet will have the date it was made.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Farfetched

Farfetched

These amps should also be relatively quiet. Check for any huming or rattling. Also if there are any extraneous holes.

7. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes

A 1966 B15N will have a chrome plated steel chassis, and eyelet board construction, not a PCB.

8. slotrod65

slotrod65

Thanks guys, I will let you know how this turns out

9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I'd assume a 66 will be PCB as I have a Jan 65 dated amp (NC/cathode biased revision) with a PCB.