1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg B2 4X8" Combo 200w anyone use 1?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by j. lerie, Jun 5, 2007.

1. j. lerie

j. lerie

Does anyone use 8" Speakers? I know there is a Henry the 8x8 out there that a rock band uses, but for hard loud rock and roll, this dosen't seem to cut it. even with a 2X10 or a 15" attached. I have read that Ampeg uses small gauge wire, I took a look and sure enough it looks like car speaker wire. I read where someone rewired one Ampeg combo with a different speaker set up and 12G wires to upgrade it, is this advisable? The 4-8" that are in it should be able to handle this at near full blast. I tried just running the 15" and the 2x10's and it didn't cut out at all, so I'm guessing it's the speakers or the wiring. Does any one else have one of these amps that plays loud rock and roll? They also used to come as B2 w/a 15" combo I have seen 1 or 2 of these around.

Thanks
  2. throbgod13

throbgod13

a friend of mine used to use one of those in a punk band.. and it seemed to put out just fine for small gigs.. and i'm not sure if he was mic'd or not..

Ampeg (SLM) does use really thin wire.. i think it's 16 gauge.. i have two 4x12 Ampeg cabs and i have rewired with 12 gauge and it made a night/day difference..

i'd go for a rewire to 12 gauge and see how that works, first..
  3. realdeal

realdeal

I went straight to a dealer in '02 to buy my V4BH head, for an upcoming tour. I already knew they had it; & I was gonna buy it.
    They had it hooked up, so I played it for a sec. Of course it sounded great; it's an all-tube Ampeg.
    But the cabinet they ran it into- Sounded superb. Turned out to be a SVT-48HE (4x8 w/horn). I bought it as well, and have used it on more gigs than I can remember.
    It cuts it. I've used it as a stand-alone and paired with a SVT-15E.
    8" Drivers are tight and focused. They leave nothing out in the low-end, and are crisp and clear. Players who think Ampeg cabs are "muddy"-There's no accounting for taste, but maybe they need to polish their skills- Could it be them and not the gear?
    Anyway- I don't play "loud R'nR", but my rhythm sections don't lay back- In one project, Ronnie (drums) had toured with James Brown- so draw your own conclusions as to how hard we hit it.
    With FOH and by itself, even as a stand-alone cab, NEVER lacked for volume or headroom with my Ampeg rigs, and frankly I never even thought of considering the gauge wire used. But that's just me!
    Only way to tell if gear fits YOU is play it with your project, and see how it lays in the mix. You like it, there ya go.
    If I listened to other posters here about gear, I'd be crazy. So would they if they listen to me.
    Except about Ampeg, of course.:D
  4. j. lerie

j. lerie

I don't suppose they sell anything like that do they, a patch cable with 8 individual wires comming off of it or would I have to make my own. The gauge would have to be consistant from the begining all the way to the end of each terminal.

realdeal. don't they go direct for the big shows like that?

t-13 . I play the same type of stuff and play mostly clubs, but maybe it's just me, with a 810 the sound is perffect, but I can't hall one of those around anymore.

Thanks
  5. realdeal

realdeal

"Going Direct" means FOH, or Front-of House-
    Your rig is DI'd into the soundboard and set for the (hopefully) appropriate volume and tone in the mix- How well it's done depends on the sound crews-Most I've worked with were very professional and very good. That's one reason they liked a straight-up Ampeg tube rig!
    Good DI, clean.
    Besides stage monitors, which let you hear the band mix, What you hear on stage is your sound through your rig, in "real time" so to speak. Some sound mixes are post-eq, so they work with your settings in the mix; others are pre-eq- They basically set the tone the audience hears.
    But on stage, you're listening to your amp, through your cabinet- So even though the sound may be amplified many 1000's of watts, in my case I was playing through a 100-watt Ampeg all-tube head... and a 4x8 cabinet. And with GOOD sound techs, that's what was heard.
    Many gigs were also done with our own relatively small mixing board, with my rig being miked, that's it, and a number of medium-size clubs and even a few good-size outdoor gigs were done stand-alone.
    No probs for me at all. Like I say, we're not trying to drown out 747's, but this WAS Dance music, and lemme tell ya'- Peoples WAS dancin'
    :D
    Of course you know your combo is really a B2 Head coupled with a 4x8 cabinet. There's quite a few Rock players here on TB that dig the B2 and it's sound for Metal, Hard-Core whatever, etc. I've used one and really like it.
    If you feel you NEED more juice, why not go with a larger head and cab, Ampeg or otherwise?
    But you brought out a point in your question to me...
    If you do go direct, that is, use sound re-inforcement when/where you play- Done. No worries. I guarantee you'll hear your B2/4x8 combo on-stage, and it can be cut in the mix as loud as need be.
    If you like it's intrinsic tone- No reason not to go for it. Big isn't always better, as the number of SMPS heads showing up today prove!
    Have fun, My Man!:cool:
  6. brisonic

brisonic

I would love to hear one of these, they made a 2x8 combo amp that was pretty nice.
  7. rodl2005

rodl2005

I had a B2R-the rack head version of the amp- & yes it should be loud enough to easily hear yrself-I found it a little quiet sometimes Until I started using the EQ & it's volume slider as well! I think my feeling of it's 'lacking' was just me not really liking S.State amps. IMHO it's got enough volume in it-used with an efficient cab(dunno re the 4x8") - to warrant using earplugz!!!!!!!!!!
  8. throbgod13

throbgod13

you would have to make your own harness.. and you have to figure out the final impedance from what the speakers are at, to begin with..

look, there is no real substitute for a 810.. other than a 810.. and if you can't move it, then you will have to settle for something different that you can move around..

personally, i think if the speakers were wired for a 4 ohm load with 12 gauge wire, and you make sure that you do not wire up the extension output jack.. that it would be fine at 350W with the 4x8s in most small/medium gigs..
  9. j. lerie

j. lerie

Thats it! I ordered an Eminence 15" 300W speaker and I am ripping out the four 8's. It just dosen't seem to cut it, even with the extra 2x10, it cuts out when I blast it at clubs or it cracks up. At least with this speaker the peak is 600W, so I think that I could crank it if need to (I'm sure I will!). Does any one want to buy the four 8"ers and the dial / tweeter. The speakers are good but they say SLM on the back of them (200W @ 8ohms). How much would they be worth if I put them on e-bay?
  10. ibz

ibz

Compared to the 1x15 version of the same combo the 4x8 left much to be desired...
  11. Johnny Mack

Johnny Mack

id buy the 8's in a second if i could afford ANYTHING right now!
  12. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

I used one as part of my main rig(+ a 1x15) for 5 years. Tone of the 8's was great, just not enough meat for my heavy rock band. I also had a problem with the very limited headroom of the B2. I now use a SVT3 Pro and a GoliathIII with much better results. Way more presence and volume than the old B248 + 1x15 rig.
  13. Psycho Bass Guy

Psycho Bass Guy

That's not the speaker's fault; that's your amp. It's too weak and the 4x8 is a bad cab to try and make up volume. Don't ruin a somewhat rare and nice sounding cab. I can say with almost certainty that the route you say you are going will only be worse. You'll be less loud and since your cab won't be of large enough volume for the Eminence 15 you're talking about, you'll get a cab that has no low end VERY loud upper midrange and LESS acoustic output than you have now. Sell off the 4x8, return the Eminence 15", and use the money to look for an 8x10 or other big cab.
  14. j. lerie

j. lerie

But they make a the SVT-15E cabinet that is basically the same size as (24x22x16) my B248 ( 24x18x16) (speaker portion only). The B2 came with either 4x8's or 1x15.

What if I leave the tweeter and dial piezo control in it (maybe add a larger horn or tweeter) with the 15"? I'm still going to use it with the SVT210 cabinet. I have seen this same type of set up all over the Talk Bass pages.

Does anyone wanna trade for another Ampeg set up? You have a point but I'm on a low budget.
  15. bassmangreg

bassmangreg

I have one of them, and really enjoy it. This combo have the best tone and punch in a 4/8 combo that money can buy. I think these are just great for small room gigs and bedrooms and stuff like like. I have been put to shame with it by drummers at larger places, so you can't use them for stadiums. I had to replace two of the speakers. My on and off switch just went out so.. it's sits again. This combo is a true Ampeg gem and I plan to keep it as long as I can.
  16. j. lerie

j. lerie

I had to replace two of the speakers. My on and off switch just went out so.. it's sits again. This combo is a true Ampeg gem and I plan to keep it as long as I can.[/QUOTE]

what did you replace the speakers with? I have found the same size speakers in 150w type I might have to do this. I just found that one of the speakers is falling apart it still plays but it has some major noise problems.
  17. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member