1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

AMPEG B2RE clearance?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by axelrod, Oct 31, 2013.

1. axelrod

axelrod

AMPEG B2RE clearance sale at GC. $160
    Worth it? 450w at 4ohm.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    At that price, yes. Honestly, it's not my favorite Ampeg head ever, but certainly worth $160.
  3. axelrod

axelrod

Thanks. I want something just to run a 210 ported 4ohm cab ( 2 8ohm bp102's) that I'm building, and then later another and then eventually 2 more, and that sounds like something to get me started. I was even looking at little acoustic 200h's that can be bought for $100 used, and adding one for each new cab as it got built. Is that crazy? Im mainly just interested in the power section.
  4. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls. Supporting Member

I have one, probably 7 or 8 years old now.

I used it a lot when I first bought it, thought it was a great amp. I'm after getting into a few different Ampeg models not, so I don't play it as much as I used to. It's still a good amp though. Decent power and very reliable.

At that price, I'd jump on it for sure.
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

An anemic 450 watts. The b2re is not a real loud amp. It is also about the least ampeg'ish ampeg... That said it is as good an amp as you'll find for $160. Go into it thinking clean and hifi rather than 'ampeg' and you won't be disappointed.
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Agreed on all of the above - that's a pretty good amp for $160...

- georgestrings
  7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

The secret to that amp is to run the master full tilt on 10 and then adjust volume with your pre. It stays clean and you get full power.

Not a well-liked amp, but when I used it and heard someone else using it, I always liked it.
  8. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls. Supporting Member

I never found mine to be weak or anemic.

Can't be afraid to really crank the knobs and work your EQ if you want volume. As was said, pin the master and control your over all level with the gain. Or even do the opposite. You won't hurt the amp, and with the right cabinet you should have plenty to work with - depending on your application.

But yeah - it's not so much a dirty, or even an 'ampeg-sounding' ampeg. Definitely cleaner and tighter tone. It's not an aggressive or gritty sounding amp, but I've never had a volume issue with it.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Yep, the B2RE and its descendants were designed to lure Ampeg non-lovers into the fold.
  10. buzzbass

buzzbass

Holy crap, that's a steal.
  11. axelrod

axelrod

aaaaaaaaiiiieeeeeeee!!! called guitar center to buy it, and it has a bad capacitor or something they said. Should have known. Any other good ideas for a cheap amp for my building project?
  12. Syxz_ML

Syxz_ML

Did seem too good to be true. Thats unfortunate man. I would say go back into looking at the acoustic b200h head some more. You can find them used for about $100 and are pretty damn good. After doing some research and asking around here for opinions I purchased one about a month ago and was very impressed for the $100 I bought it for.
  13. WillieB

WillieB Battling Bass Guitar Bulimia since 1975 Gold Supporting Member

wow those used to go for $400 plus steal

but its 26lbs for 250 into 8ohms so

ahhh missed the earlier post about the bad cap. bummer.
  14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Used GK 400. ... Strong and plentiful...
  15. axelrod

axelrod

See a GK 400 Rb used for 150. Not sure of age and condition, just sent a a message asking for those. Sound About right? How many 210 cabs would this reasonably power. Currently just have one at 4 ohm, but will be expanding.
  16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You will hard pressed to find heads that will run a 2 ohm load. None of the heads mentioned in this thread are capable of running another cabinet on top of the one you have unless you build a speakon series box or series cabinet cable so you could connect the cabs in series instead of parallel.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    And you lose wattage when you do that. You drop down to whatever an 8 ohm load gives you.
  18. axelrod

axelrod

what about using a separate amp for each 4ohm 2 x10? I actually kind of like this idea, conceptually, but what about physically? will two similar amps run in phase?
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    They can, sure.
  20. axelrod

axelrod

cool-I'm gonna do that. Build a 210, get an amp, build a 210, get an amp and so on up to 4 2x10's and then a big amp to handle all 4 4 ohm 2x10"s, yep that's my plan. Should take about 2 years.