Ampeg b2re

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by happychicken, Feb 1, 2012.

1. happychicken

happychicken Supporting Member

Hi all I have this amp and I hate it. My amp broke right before jig 2 years ago and I had to run to gc to buy something that night. That being said I thought I couldn't go wrong with ampeg, well I did. This thing sounds like a neutered ball of cottage cheese falling down a well. Anyway, just asking for opinions on what would be a good amp to replace this with for 500 or less used. I like a bright modern sounding amp, I am not so much into vintage sound.

2. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Sounds like you'd dig Markbass stuff

3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

You could prolly find a used Markbass F1 for less than $500.

I like mine a lot; tone hound extraordinaire KJung says he's fond of the F500, which is the F1 with parametric EQ added.

4. Ewo

Might find an Aggie ToneHammer 500 at that price point, too.

You can search TB for threads on the Markbass F1/F500 and the Aggie TH500. The comments will give you a feel for players' reax to 'em. And I've had good experiences buying gear of all sorts through the TB listings in the BG forum.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. happychicken

Thanks! I am going to look into markbass f1. I don't want to sound like a total hater either. I am sure the higher end ampeg stuff must sound much better. I just feel like I got the hose from a company with a rep for good stuff. Should I look at GK stuff at all? I saw a GK 7000rb very nice price.

7. stiles72

stiles72

IMO, Ampeg does "vintage" very well. Not to say it can't do a bright and modern tone - but personally I would look elsewhere if that's your thing. Maybe try a Hartke with their aluminum cone cabs.

8. Ewo

I used to have a 1000RB combo. Yep--it's good for a modern tone, also.

9. Sartori

Sartori

To make the b2re sound less "neutered," turn the gain up and ignore the little light.

10. Lync

Lync

I have an Ampeg B2 and maybe they changed it when going to a B2r, but I think it sounds pretty damn good.

I don't use it often since I mainly run my Thunderfunk or Carvin BX500, but when I do bust it out, it sounds good to me. I run the master on 10 and control the volume with the pre (as I couldn't seem to make it any dirtier by cranking the preamp).

But, maybe if that was my only amp, I would think differently.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You didn't get the hose...you just bought the most atypical Ampeg amp in their lineup. Some folks like it, but I prefer the PF500 in that price range. But Jerrold Tiers, who used to be chief enginner at Ampeg when owned by SLM, said they invented the B2RE and its descendants to give folks who didn't want the usual Ampegs an alternative. The PF500 suffers from no such identity crisis ;)

12. happychicken

I did some reading on past tb threads and apparently there was a change for the worse when they went to B2RE model. Sorry my description of this amp's performance was over the top and maybe too negative.

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I have an Ampeg b2, b2r, and a b3 ... I love them ... I love the fat warm anpeg tone.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No problem...that's what TB is all about...voicing opinions freely. One man's neutered ball of cottage cheese is another man's...um...non-neutered ball of cottage cheese. ;)

15. BuckyBass1982

BuckyBass1982

I actually just acquired the Ampeg B2RE Saturday in a gear trade. I've only used it once at practice so far, but I was impressed. At the moment I'm only running 250 watts at 8 ohms (4x10 carvin RL). Still will bump up to 4 ohms at some point to get the full 450 watts.

It took some getting used to tone wise, since I've always used Peavey amps.... But I love the B2RE's tone. It was plenty loud to hang with a guitar player using a Peavey JSX tube 1/2 stack and a beastly drummer. I don't really see why it gets such a bad rap. I read about the fan being to loud. To me, it's not. Digging deep for something to complain about because it's not an SVT is what I think. My only complaint is there is no foot switch input for the effects loop.

16. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

I have a USA made B2-RE. I agree that it is kind of dry sounding. However, it does sound pretty good with my (tweeterless) Schroeder 1515L 2x15 cab and a P-Bass strung with flats. However, I mainly use it with various preamps (Alembic F-1X, Aguilar DB659 and Ampeg SVP CL) plugged into its poweramp in jack which bypasses its internal preamp and only uses its power section. It works great for this purpose. Check out some preamps with it and you might like it.

17. armybass

armybass Keith Roscoe and Mike Lull Basses Rock! Gold Supporting Member

I agree,, I have the Ampeg B4R that everyone around here says is junk....but I dig it. That being said I run it in a rack with an older SVT IIP Preamp and and an older green faced SWR Grand Prix. You might just try running a preamp in front of it. I really dig the Ampeg B4R by itself but it serves double duty as a power amp for my pre's.

18. TUEP

TUEP

I have the B2R/SVT-350 and I love the thing.

19. Bongolation

Bongolation

I have a SVT-350H I got for $265, new, in a moment of ignorance, but I can't hear it over the sound of the fan.

Never figured that amp out. Gutless, but would be OK for a practice amp, if it wasn't for the unholy racket of that fan.

I thought the B-2Re/SVT-450H was the same circuit except for a nominal 100W boost. No?

20. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Agreed

21. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

I think we have everyone accounted for that likes the B2RE/350H! hehehehe, I say that because most threads this amp is mentioned in a dark light but I'm here to say that I too love(or at least like alot) this series of amps. I own an SVT4pro as well and I still think the b2r stuff is good. I have both an old 1998 svt350H I bought as Bstock from daddysjunky new and I also have a loud b2re I bought used and I think their tone is truely identical. They respond well to effects too. Just my opinion though,hehehehe.............