1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg B40 4-10 (vintage 70s)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by two fingers, Jan 23, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Any thoughts or experiences with this thing? It's a rather large 4-10 from the mid 70s. I'm thinking of getting it (found one locally) and maybe putting some modern drivers in it. I have read some old threads on that subject here and there seems to be one Eminence that most like in that cab. It solves my cab width problem to go with a V4. The V4 is 26 1/4" wide and the B40 cab is 27". Of course, if it sounds fine as is I will just leave it stock. I would have to completely make a grill and frame for it as the one from this cab is missing, but that shouldn't be too hard. I'm sure fliptops or somebody has a cloth that will match the V4 perfect (or real dang close).

Anyway, anyone have good, bad, or indifferent experiences with that box? Any thoughts at all that jump to mind when you think of it?

Thanks.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Sound like a good starting point to your current build.
  3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I had one. The stock speakers were pretty meh, I ended up putting a set of BP102 speakers in. They're not the best, but they worked in the box in terms of size, etc, for a sealed cab and fit my budget. Mine also had just a thin layer of padding inside so I stuffed it with some mattress topper. Made for a pretty decent cab overall and paired well with my V4. I sold it when I got my flatback 8x10.
  4. two fingers

I remember reading your posts in previous threads on the topic. I am just going in the other direction as far as size. I recently got rid of my fridge and probably won't go back any time soon. Did you find any other speakers that fit the specs of the cab but maybe were out of your budget at the time? I'm just curious as to whether or not there are more options.

And I've read here that there's some guy at a speaker place you can call and he'll tell you what goes well with a cab if you give him the inside dimensions. Who's that?

Thanks!
  5. two fingers

And any more input on the inside matting would be great as well. Thanks.
  6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I honestly didn't spend much time, I needed something that could handle the V4 without farting as much as the stock speakers were, so I picked up the eminences and just went to town.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably put more effort into looking at speaker plots and such. If you can do 8 ohms with your head, I'd probably say look into the B810 so it's more like half of an 8x10. Fliptops also has their custom design neo 32 ohm speakers for the sealed 8x10 cabs, or there is always the EHX SVT spaeker (also available at fliptops) which is basically what's in the new production cabs.

As far as the mattress padding, basically I just stuffed the cab. It helps reduce internal standing waves and tighten up bass response. I can't say for sure how much difference it made since I did the speakers and padding at the same time, but that cab sounded pretty good after that.