1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Ampeg B4R buzz problem

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by robbiebruce, Jan 24, 2014.

1. robbiebruce

robbiebruce

Jan 24, 2014
    Hey, I've been searching online for a few hours now and I still haven't found any sort of answer to this problem. I've got an Ampeg B4R that makes a loud buzzing noise as soon as it's cut on. It doesn't matter if anythings plugged in or not, and volume and tone adjustments make have no effect on it. I've tried different basses, speaker cables, cabs, power cords, and outlets. I'm at my wits end. Has anyone figured out the solution to this problem?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Yes, take it to a tech. Sorry, but it's a solid state amp, and unless you're experienced with them, it's best to let a tech deal with it. One thing you can try is to clean the effect loop jacks with contact cleaner or by inserting a plug into the jacks rapidly over and over a few times, but I don't know that will fix it.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If it is 60 or 120Hz, it could be a bad power supply cap.

4. Dawntreader

Dawntreader

Aug 23, 2013
  5. Sponsored by:

6. That would be my guess as well. Simple repair.

7. green cm

green cm

May 4, 2015
    VA
    I know this is old, but same issues here. Any solution?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Well, I think the old answers still apply.

9. green cm

green cm

May 4, 2015
    VA
    I ended up taking it to a tech and they said there was a ground loop (or maybe they said ground lift) in the circuit board and they couldn't do anything about it. Said a peg probably couldn't send them a new circuit board and that was the only option. Suggested I send it to ampeg. Don't know much about amps, sound right? I had been getting the impression that it was just a cap or some kind of simple ground issue. Now it's sounding like a much bigger thing that'll cost moe most of the value of the amp if I have to take it or ship it to ampeg.

10. green cm

green cm

May 4, 2015
    VA
    I do want to note that if my amp is off, sometimes the sound takes about 5 minutes to really get warmed up and buzzing loud. One time I cut it on and no issue whatsoever, next time I turned it on, back in full effect.

11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    A new board isn't your only option. I can't see why the issue can't be fixed without changing the board other than they make more money doing so. This happens all too often.

It appears that you have an intermittent problem related to a ground. Not necessarily a ground loop.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    i agree. Throwing parts at a problem without ascertaining what the cause is is no way to repair anything!! :rollno:

13. green cm

green cm

May 4, 2015
    VA
    Thanks a ton for the feedback guys. Problem is, it's the only shop I can find in town for amp repair. Any suggestions for me? I'm halfway between DC and Richmond, va

14. green cm

green cm

May 4, 2015
    VA
    Also, anything a novice could pop the lid off and look for?

15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    A novice would not even know what to look for and it's way too easy for one to quadruple the repair cost. Take the amp to a tech, it's the best way to proceed.

16. Why not ask Ampeg CS to recommend a shop? I can't imagine that there wouldn't be several in the DC/Richmond area.