1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg B50R

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Professor Jones, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Professor Jones

Professor Jones

Is it a good amp ? I can get one used for 170 e, which seems like a fair price. At first I was going for a BA-112, but this one seems good, from all the good things I read about it. Which one of these two do you recommend ?

I will exclusively use it as a practice amp.

Thanks !
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

It would be a very good practice amp. I had one briefly, and because there is no input gain control like the B100-R, the preamp is sensitive to overloading with active basses. That was the amp's only shortcoming as far as I could tell.
  3. sickest beast

sickest beast

i really like this line of amps. i have a B200R and it's gigable, and sounds amazing. i'd imagine a 50-watt version being an ideal home practice amp.
  4. bassvi

bassvi

It is a sweet little amp. I think the tone is really good. They are out of production so if you can grab it up it will be kind of a collector's item. I've got a BA112 but I like the B50R a little better in some ways (the styling is way more sexy, IMO). Both are good practice amps. The BA112 has RCA inputs and a unbalanced out, you might want to check the B50R's spec's if those features matter to you. The B50R's go for about $250 in the states when they pop up on ebay or from a used dealer.
  5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I love my B50R.
    I also have a B100R. (1x15)
    But, the B50R, 1x12 cab, is a little tighter sounding. (with great low end)
    It has great tone, and work well with pedals.
    The B50R is more than a practice amp.
    It records great.
    And can be used for small gigs.
    With 15-22 watt guitar amps, and a small drum kit.
    They run in the $300.00 range used. (and are worth it)
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Tonally, the B50R is a little warmer sounding than a BA112. But for practical purposes, the RCA in on the BA112 makes for easy jamming with CD's or whatnot. And, the BA112 is, imo, the best of all the BA series, (BA115, BA210SP, etc). Also, the BA112 tilts back for easy monitoring.
  7. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

I suggest you get that B50R, they are hard to find and are a great combo. They won the Bass Player magazine small combo shootout a few years ago.

I have a B50R and I think it is a great amp, similar to the B100R, which I also own. As much as I love my B100R, I'd sell it before my B50R, as I get more use out of the smaller amp.
  8. jbassbob

jbassbob

Not to mention, that they are just really cool looking :hyper:

[​IMG]
  9. Professor Jones

Professor Jones

Thanks for the replies, seems like going for that amp is an easy choice to make.

I have a question : I'll play this amp with an active bass (SBMM stingray 5), and the amp does not have an active input. What difference will that make ? Will I have to tweak the amp eq differently because of that ?
  10. wizay

wizay

Maybe you wanna turn down the output of the bass a little, if it dont like active signals, as mentioned above
  11. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Exactly. Just roll back the volume knob on the bass a little, and you'll be fine.