1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg BA-108 Coffeeshop Micro Rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Woodstockz, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Ampeg BA 108 Mods Phase 1A - From practice amp to Coffeeshop Micro Rig.

I like the idea of portability. Carrying stuff across a parking lot and up stairs was getting to my rotator cuff. Markbass stuff might help. It sounds great, is light and portable, but too expensive.

I read the whole thread about Micro and Nano Rigs. My shoulder needs that I get a portable micro rig, so I decided to make a portable coffeeshop rig myself.

I need a working amp that I can rely on, so I decided to get another amp for modification project. That way, and if I blow up the project amp, I can keep practicing with my current amp.

Starting with a complete working unit will give me one that looks good after I finish, rather that some hack job that sounds good, but looks bad. Been there, done that.

At $99, the Ampeg BA 108 is cheap enough to make it a project. Lightly used units can be found on Ebay, Craigslist. I got mine for $69 in the used amp section of Guitar Center.

The TB-110 project is pretty cool. It uses the Eminence S2010 10 inch speaker. The BA-108 has about the same volume as the Goldwod box minus the shelf, so this project will use the same speaker.

The S2010 is a significant upgrade to the BA 108. 2 inches larger in diameter than the stock BA 108 speaker, but just about doubles the cone area. So it can push more air.
    The voice coil grows from 1" to 2" for power handling.
    The neo magnet helps keep the weight down. Win.

Attached Files:

2. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Ampeg BA 108 Mods Phase 1A - From practice amp to Coffeeshop Micro Rig

Pics:

- Neo vs. Stock
    - Prep to cut larger hole.

Attached Files:

3. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Ampeg BA 108 Mods Phase 1A - From practice amp to Coffeeshop Micro Rig

Pics:
    - Stock BA-108
    - S2010 installed

Attached Files:

4. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

I have read many internet builds in the past, but this is my first. I hope that this helps someone out there.

Notice that the new speaker is very close to the port. So the strategy is to plug the port, and go to a rear port.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Phase 1A - Upgrade speaker
    Phase 1B - Install port
    Phase 1C - Upgrade Preamp

The Ampeg BA-108 is under rated. This project upgrades the amp to greater potential.

Phases 1A and 1B are geared to increasing SPL.

Phase 1C brings clarity to the preamp. Phase 1C actualy starts phase 2 - the electrical portion of the project. The reason that it is part of phase 1 is that it goes along with parts A and B as a straightforward upgrade.

Phase 1C removes the ancient TL072 opamp with something designed this century. An opamp socket is installed so that I can evaluate different opamps.

Attached Files:

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well you just modded all the collectability out of it.

:D

That's cool that you can do all that stuff. Keep us posted on your progress, please. I have a BA108 and a BA110. They're working for me well enough as is, but I'm always interested in cool mods.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Not sure where you're heading but keep going.

9. majortoby

majortoby

I like it! Do keep us posted on the op-amp rolling... :D

10. silentmike

silentmike

Have you powered it up with the new speaker in there?

Oh, and subbed.

11. BeJay

BeJay

12. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Subscribed.
    Great idea!

13. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Well then, I guess I'll just have to sacrafice collectability for an amp that meets my needs. ;)

I have both BA108 and BA110 as well, but the BA110 doesn't fit in the trunk of my car. :bassist:

14. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Small, lightweight, Louder.

15. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Right now, I'm running a Burr-Brown OPA2132. It sounds great. I chose the Burr-Brown OPA2132 because one reviewer said that it was tube like. Just what you need in a musical instrument amplifier. I like it so far. It is noticably better than the TL072.

Sometimes, the clarity startles me. I surprises me how I can have that tone under my fingertips...But then it also amplifies my mistakes as well.

For right now, I'm working on getting more output power for the amp. I will try other op-amps later.

16. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

I have been playing it for about a month with the mods so far. I have had it cranked up to 8 with no fart out. :bassist:

17. Slackerprince

Slackerprince

What kind of Smart car do you drive? ;)

S

18. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

BMW Z3.

What kind of Smart car do you drive?

:ninja:

19. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

BA-108 in trunk:

Attached Files:

20. Ben B

Ben B Supporting Member

I like it!

I did a similar thing with my Fender Rumble 15. I bought it used, so, I didn't mind using it as an experiment. I replaced the stock POS speaker with an alpha-8a, added a 2 inch port, and lined the cabinet. It goes deeper and much louder. Before the speaker, mod, I could only get the volume to about 11 o'clock before it farted. Now, I can't get it to fart, and distortion doesn't set it until the volume is at 3:00. And it's okay with a 5 string.

Ben

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Funny you mentioned that...I've considered putting an Alpha 8a in my BA108. After this, I might just do it.