Ampeg BA-110 0db hiss/hum

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jp_nyc, Mar 17, 2014.

1. jp_nyc

jp_nyc

My Ampeg BA-110 hisses and hums when I use the 0DB input. The amount of hiss is similar to a high-gain guitar amp with the gain cranked. Just plugging a cable in is enough to make it noisy, plugging the cable into a bass makes more noise, and touching the bridge or strings of the bass makes it hum like an ungrounded Stratocaster. The -15DB input is fine, it makes no more noise than the amp does with nothing plugged in. Is this normal for this amp?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What are your knob settings and what bass are you using?

3. jp_nyc

jp_nyc

The knobs are at at noon, but the sound exists no matter how I set the knobs.

The bass I’m using is an Epiphone Thunderbird IV. It does the same with my ESP LTD b-305fm (active pickups) and any guitar I plug in.

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The amp should not do this. Have it checked/repaired/replaced. With an open cable it might have a little noise, after you plug the bass in turn the volumes all the way down it should be close to silent unless your bass is an active one with a dying battery.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, mine's not noisy. I think you might have gotten one that's broken somehow.

7. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member