1. Register your FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Ampeg BA-110 0db hiss/hum

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jp_nyc, Mar 17, 2014.

1. jp_nyc

jp_nyc

Mar 16, 2014
    My Ampeg BA-110 hisses and hums when I use the 0DB input. The amount of hiss is similar to a high-gain guitar amp with the gain cranked. Just plugging a cable in is enough to make it noisy, plugging the cable into a bass makes more noise, and touching the bridge or strings of the bass makes it hum like an ungrounded Stratocaster. The -15DB input is fine, it makes no more noise than the amp does with nothing plugged in. Is this normal for this amp?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    What are your knob settings and what bass are you using?

3. Sponsored by:

4. jp_nyc

jp_nyc

Mar 16, 2014
    The knobs are at at noon, but the sound exists no matter how I set the knobs.

The bass I’m using is an Epiphone Thunderbird IV. It does the same with my ESP LTD b-305fm (active pickups) and any guitar I plug in.

5. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The amp should not do this. Have it checked/repaired/replaced. With an open cable it might have a little noise, after you plug the bass in turn the volumes all the way down it should be close to silent unless your bass is an active one with a dying battery.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Ya, mine's not noisy. I think you might have gotten one that's broken somehow.

7. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member