AMPEG BA 112

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bobbydeells, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Bobbydeells

Bobbydeells

I am considering buying this amp for pratice and small gigs. and would like some feed back if possible. Currently I have two SWR and would like something less heavy as I live on the 2nd floor.

TY

RW

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

3. ics1974

ics1974

I had one and returned it. It sounded good when it wasn't rattling like crazy.
    I also owned the BA108 and returned it as it rattled as well.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The BA112 is one of the best little amps I have ever heard, not just saying that as an endorser, either. I don't have one, but it's my favorite of the BA line.

The rattle problem ICS mentioned, however, is an issue with some of them. Most have been fixed and work just fine. I've yet to play one that rattled and I've played 9 or 10 of them at stores this past year. Regluing the wood joints and/or re-stapling the lining inside of it usually fixes it. My advice is to take it out of the box before you leave the store and check it out and get another one if it rattles.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dannylectro

dannylectro

I owned owned and used one for about two years with an original acoustic folk band, which included a drummer playing a cocktail kit w/ brushes. It was generally fine for rehearsals and very small gigs but would not cut it for outdoors or larger venue shows.

I also found it to be somewhat awkward to carry - not what I was looking for at all. I sold it and bought a used GK MB150S, and I couldn't be happier. It works great with both acoustic bass guitar and electric bass, is pretty light, and easy to carry.

7. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

I have one and it is a good practice amp in a small room situation or playing alone. Very nice ampeg tone, but only 50 watts and strictly a low-volume option. That said, I did one time gig with it one time with full PA support and it made a surprisingly good stage monitor. No rattles of any kind.

8. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I've head one for a few years as my primary practice amp. I really like it a lot for that purpose. Nice tone, tilt back, light weight, accepts an iPod cable. I've used it for a practice with a drummer and guitar player once and it worked fine. I've never tried it for a gig of any kind. I imagine it would work fine for an acoustic or low volume gig, but not for an electric rock gig.

9. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

I owned one for use at home. Great combo and no issues.

10. SJan3

SJan3

A few years ago, I put one up against an SWR workingman's 10 combo. The SWR buried it. It sounded very " boxy" next to the SWR. Also, I'd hesitate if I have to be so concerned about the workmanship. I believe there are better choices..

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I also think the BA112 is the best of the BA line, but 50 watts through a single 12 is not enough for full band playing. It does make for a great sounding bedroom practice amp, though.

12. bigBbass

bigBbass

I just brought a BA112 home on Friday, for the money it's the best practice amp out there. I might have liked something a little bigger but this will annoy my house-mates enough! :)