1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg BA series rant

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ics1974, Aug 15, 2012.

1. ics1974

ics1974

I love my Ampeg PF-500 but for bedroom practice I really wanted to like the BA combo amps.
    I bought a BA-112 and after a day I could hear a rattle sound even at very low volumes so I returned it. I then decided I will just get the BA-108. It came in yesterday and it rattled even worse than the BA-112 even with the volume on 4. I decided to unscrew the amp portion to see if it's rattling against the cab. I took it out and put a shirt against it and the cab so it wouldn't rattle. The rattle completely went away. I added all kinds or foam tape all around the amp chassis and installed it back again. The rattle was still there. I took it out again and tried some more but I could not get rid of the rattle.
    Anyways I returned it today and can't decide if I should try again with another one or just get something else like a Fender Rumble 15.
    BTW other then the rattle the tone was really good.
  2. hodgy

hodgy

Disclosures:
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    Since I'm too lazy to tell you to use the search function, I'll just repost this for you here.

1. Pull off the grill
    2. Unscrew the speaker and disconnect the 2 wires from the terminals (Remember where they go!)
    3. Remove the foam from inside the cab.
    4. Using Wood glue (we use Tightbond II wood glue), go around all of the joints- probably best to do one side and let it cure for awhile so it doesn't drip all over when you turn it.
    5. Once all of the joints are glued and the glue is set, get out your staple gun and reattach the foam to the inside of the cab.
    6. Refasten the wires to the speakers- I like to squeeze the faston connectors a bit with some pliers, just to make sure there is a secure fit. Add a dab of RTV if you have some- this will keep the wires even more secure.
    7. Some speakers will have a gasket. Some will not. If not, take some foam tape and go around the edge of the speaker, creating your own gasket.
    8. Re-screw the speaker to the cabinet, make sure it is secure.
    9. Reattach the grill.
    10. Rock out.

This is if you get tired of returning them.
  3. ics1974

ics1974

hmm. I did look inside the speaker hole and did not see foam but some kind of wool like batting. If I do get another one and it has the issue I will try this.
  4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    There was some issue with a batch of those rattling. Ask Ampeg for a replacement from a new batch.

Or, TB'er hodgy here explained a fix. I think it was taking the speaker out and filling the cabinet seams with glue or something.
  5. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Aah...I'm too slow.:D. ^^
  6. ics1974

ics1974

I actually took a picture of the speaker incase I forgot how the wires where connected. See no foam only batting.

[​IMG]
  7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Take that batting out. Dump glue in all the cab corners. Next day, re-assemble.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I believe you have the wires reversed, too. Red should be pos.

Geez, hope it wasn't me who got it backwards ;)
  9. ics1974

ics1974

This was the picture I took before removing the wires. So I could put them back right.
  10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    It won't matter playing a single speaker by itself, but, they should still make them all the same.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well just make sure I'm right first ;) I believe the terminals are marked + and -.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hmmm, now I wonder if I was right about those wires...too lazy to take apart my BA108, though ;)
  13. pfschim

pfschim Supporting Member

+1 to your first suggestion
    -100 to the second (Hodgy's fix) no shot at you will33

why the heck should the buyer of new gear have to fix their recent purchase to make it usable ? I mean its one thing if you have to re-glue the seams and reattach the batting in a cool 20 year old cab you found in the back of your uncles garage, but no-way should someone have to fix new gear.

geez
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I agree with you, PF. And he did return it...I missed that part first time around, too. But Hodgy's fix does work if you'd rather not deal with returning it or if it's out of warranty.
  15. pfschim

pfschim Supporting Member

heh Jimmy, I missed that detail too. gotta check the old specs again.

I understand Hodgy's advice was well intentioned/well intended, and would undoubtedly work, but I personally would never fix a brand new piece of gear to the extent he was suggesting (opening the cab, removing the speaker, pulling the batting, applying glue to the seams, reattaching the batting etc etc etc).

hope the OP got his gear rattles sorted.
  16. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I agree in principle. Just don't know that it's worth the hassle over a cheap little piece like that. Can fix it for less than it costs to drive to the store and back, or mess with shipping, etc. Then again I wouldn't buy something like that new anyway. Little bedroom amps like that litter the used market for dirt cheap. And most of them work.
  17. ics1974

ics1974

I agree with you and it looks like this is a known issue. Since I bought 2 now with the issue I will not chance a third because I am not going to fix something brand new.
  18. "Q"

"Q"

No, you don't have to. But it's easy and you'll end up with a better cab then the new one you'll get.
  19. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Interesting...I was thinking about picking up one of these amps soon....now I'm not so sure.
  20. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

The BA112 is good sounding little amp, really good. I'd take one over the Fender Rumble any day, even if I had to do a little work on it.