1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg BA108 and BA110

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by panama, Jan 25, 2011.

1. panama

panama

I just saw this vid posted by Ampeg on Facebook:

Here

From what I found online the BA108 is going to be MSRP $139, which is a great price point I think. They both come with CD audio inputs for jamming with a CD player or MP3 player. Both sounded pretty great on the video.

Right now I have a Marshall MB15, which is less watts and has no audio in. For lack of better words it sounds like garbage. I'm tempted to replace it with the BA108, but I might spend the extra $40 or so and go for the BA110, which at 35 watts will be better for live jams with my 2 guitarists when our drummer can't show up.

Decisions, decisions...
  2. hoshbrown41

hoshbrown41

I just saw this from my youtube subscription
    I've been looking for a smaller practice amp instead of my 6pro and 410hlf and am very excited about these two
  3. panama

panama

Another perk - being able to tilt it back
  4. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member

I'm very interested in the BA-110!

The surprise perk for me was the inclusion of an effects loop on the rear, where I plan to jack-in a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal and bypass the built-in preamp section altogether.

I'm sure it's very serviceable for an amp costing $100+ dollars, but a man needs a little VT goodness that I have a feeling will be a bit lacking out of the box... I could be wrong, but then again, I would never look a gift EFFECT RETURN jack in the mouth :)

Cheers!
  5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I would be very interested to hear someones input on a comparison between the original and the current release BA-110 when they become more available ...
  6. hoshbrown41

hoshbrown41

Any release date on the rumor mill?
  7. 85vf500rr

85vf500rr

I've got the original BA-110. Nice little practice amp, not too loud, so make sure that you're not expecting it to be more than that. Mine seems to clip a bit when running through the headphones. Never does when playing through the speaker, but through 6-7 different pairs of headphones (including some studio grade Sonys), I hear clipping on the lower frequencies. I have to back the bass EQ off to 1/4 or less to attenuate it and even then it may still be there on an open E. It's been a good amp other wise, but I'd eventually like to try a GK MB115 and a VT Bass pedal.
  8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

I have a BA112 that I use for duo and trio acts, and can't imagine going smaller or less power and still being useful. Really. I use it for acoustic acts, with electric bass guitar, acoustic bass guitar, and acoustic upright bass.
  9. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

I am also looking forward to these two Ampeg combos. I use a BA112 a LOT, and the direction gigs are going these days, low volume is where the money's at! If they are anything like the BA112 as far as tone and quality, I will get both.
  10. panama

panama

I think the 110 will be pretty usable in a variety of situations. I use my Marshall MB15 (15 watts through 8" speaker, not 15" speaker) to play along with my guitarists who use a Mesa Blue Angel and a Fender (I think) Vibroking and with the MB15 on a chair to project better it actually keeps up quite well at pretty decent volumes. I think the BA110 will give me more versatility though and I have no doubt it'll sound better.
  11. carcass

carcass

hey there guys, i am newbie and this is actually my first real post on this forum, hopefully it wont be stupid. I have found just days ago that Ampeg are releasing these two combos and I am wondering about one thing. Will / can the BA108 handle low B on 5 string bass? I have got Ibanez SR885BK equpied with active pick-ups.
  12. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

Anyone try the newer model out yet?

I need a small amp, I'm going to jam after hours at the office with a guitarist and a drummer here is bringing in an electronic kit so we can play at controlled volumes.

This seems like a good choice at $99.
  13. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

I use my BA112 a lot as well. Its been invaluable to me(even though I have quite a bit of high end gear I can use). Sounds great, portable, etc. I use it for rehearsals and small gigs. I have played through an original BA110 and it sounded great as well. IMO not enough power to gig with, but ideal as a practice amp.
  14. ironfinger

ironfinger

15. Joronamo

Joronamo

I just purchased an Ampeg BA-108 via ebay and I must say I am pretty dissapointed. Does anybody else get a farting/rattling sound when playing on the low E and A strings?
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Only when I crank it.
  17. Joronamo

Joronamo

I get it on low settings like 3 and 4. I noticed Im not the only one as I have browsed other internet forums and other people have the same problem.
  18. mazdah

mazdah

No problems with mine 108 at all. I never cranked mine past 5 (never needed to) and up to 5 I never had any problems with farting speaker.
  19. Joronamo

Joronamo

So your saying over 5 you get a farting speaker? Mine starts to fart after 4. Why is that normal/acceptable? Its ampeg I expect better from them. I know its not the 70s anymore but they should still be able to make working products.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just because a knob will let you turn it up all the way doesn't mean it's going to be usable when it's turned up all the way. It's only a 25w practice amp, which isn't a whole lot, and amps have twice that much power available as peak power, but it's distorted. And 4 is about the place where it starts on not only the BA108 but most Ampeg amps. That's how they roll. That's so you can get some grind if you want it. You want it louder and cleaner, you have to get a bigger amp.