1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

AMPEG BA108 with EMINENCE ALPHA 8a

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by redhed, Sep 30, 2012.

1. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

Just installed a new Eminence ALPHA 8a in my Ampeg BA108 and what a fantastic upgrade! While the little combo is a great performer stock the new speaker just adds so much more depth to the sound, really is killer! You can really crank up the volume with no issues but really I only use the amp for practise at lower volumes and it really sounds awesome.

Attached Files:

2. gottliver

gottliver

thx for the info! was it a direct fit? no re drilling?

I use a ba-108 for a drummer-less trio that i play upright with. I'm using a realist pup/fdeck pre3 and the ampeg. It is a very good sound with out a drummer but when the 2 guitars start getting loud i'm left wanting a bit more volume. been thinking that this speaker swap would do the trick.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I don't think the speaker can actually ADD volume, can it? Could probably sound better and tighter but adding volume?

4. bb03

bb03 Supporting Member

If it has higher sensitivity it can. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Didn't think of that...never mind ;)

Anyway, been considering this mod for a year now but I'm too cheap and the BA108 has been doing it for me as is. But I may go ahead and pull the trigger after I get some repairs on some other stuff I have finished.

7. bb03

bb03 Supporting Member

I was thinking you spaced out on that...thus the :).

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    To be fair, I had just woken up.

9. redhed

Just screws right in, with the original 4 screws! It is ridiculously easy....
    I don't know if it makes the combo louder but you can definately crank the volume! But I think the sound is improved and it is more sensitive to EQ adjustments. I LOVE THIS MOD!!

10. bb03

bb03 Supporting Member

Does the CD input play through the speaker, or just the headphones?

11. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Too sweet!

The BA -108 is a great deal to begin with, and a great platform for mods. A speaker with greater sensitivity and greater power handling means that you can crank the volume.

A couple of other people doing this mod have yet to report in. I'm glad that this works out for you.

12. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

The CD input plays through the speaker, and has a seperate volume control. I use it all the time.

13. redhed

I got tired of waiting to hear about the result of installing the ALPHA 8a that I just went out and bought my own! It seemed like a good idea......

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Seemed like one to me as well. But hey, $50 is $50 ;)

15. redhed

I am not really sure it is worth it! But hey, what the hell!

16. matjaz123

matjaz123

Okay, today I received and installed my alpha 8a.
    Installation was quick and simple as cake. First impressium was good, sound was warmer and much more clear. I made a few sound samples.
    BUT then I cranked the volume up and hiting the E and B string. The "thing" began to quietly farts with annoying sound. I put the original speaker back in, there was no farting, original speaker handles the B string well, then put the alpha 8 back in. Same story again.
    So now I am sticking with ORIGINAL, and hoping to get money back or at last sell it.
    About the VOLUME with new speaker, it's not get ANY louder.
    Well I don't know, maybe is the cabinet or just the port too small. But now I trust Ampeg even more.

17. gottliver

gottliver

yep, i have somewhat the same story.

no farting at high volume, but distortion. not sure if it is the pre or amp clipping? when i get the volume past 1pm it starts to get fuzzy. is it any louder? thats debatable, but again, no farting, distortion.

18. redhed

I don't know about that! The AMPEG speaker is rated at 40 watts, I haven't had any problems with the ALPHA. It cam certainly handle more than what the amp can produce.

19. gottliver

gottliver

clean power? no distortion?

20. redhed

Yes, but I am not cranking the thing to full volume. The BA 108 is a little tiny practice amp, but I think the speaker upgrade improves the overall sound and I love it!

21. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

I think that you probably have the dreaded cabinet problem. Glue the seams, re-staple the batting, and add more batting. Either that, or the speaker is defective. A good speaker would not be the cause of the problem.