Ampeg BA110 bad humming sound????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sparty, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Sparty

Dec 26, 2012
    Have got an ampeg BA110 practice amp but ever since I've had it it has a hum ( earth type sound). She plays fine just shouldn't have that hum. I Would send it back but I ordered a BA108 and they sent a BA110 by mistake (not complaining) just want to know if there's a cure for the humming noise (not feedback- hums when no inputs in play).
    Tried different kettle leads - no change.
    Anybody got any ideas.
    Cheers sparty..
  2. RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Tried different outlets?
  3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Tried a different power cord in case the ground lead is open?
  4. Sparty

Dec 26, 2012
    Have tried different kettle leads ( ones the band uses regular ) still the same (Although i havent checked they were earthed tho).Just had a thought that I'm in UK perhaps this unit was built for the states. Would that make any difference??
    Personally I can live with it. its just for home use but if I want to move it on then it will effect the sale...
    For 35 watts it really kicks out some noise.. When the neighbours are fighting I just turn it on and smash out a few base lines-rattles the walls. They soon start banging in the walls ( the power of bass) argument over.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If you bought it from a UK supplier then it should be correct for your area, especially if it was supplied with a 13A plug. The operating voltage should be clearly marked on the back panel. An amp should make little noise without anything in the input. If it does I would think the unit faulty.
  7. Woodstockz

Sep 23, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    Is your bass shielded? I have a P-bass that hums. I hope to fix that with shielding and new pickups.
  8. BassDrumGA

Feb 27, 2015
    My BA-110 has the same noisy hum AC-ground sound when it is on with nothing plugged. I hate it every time when the band stops playing. I've tried different places but it is the same and I have not clue what I can fix it.
    The AC outlet in Taiwan is two-pronged plug (hot/neutral) not three(hot/neutral/ground) in US. I am figuring to provide the 'ground' in an electronic lab so that the 3rd ground plug can be tied to a good earth ground.
    - BassDrum Crafter
  9. AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Is it a BA110 v1 or v2 that hums?
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Alex, the OP hasn't been active on the site since sometime last year. Hopefully he has some sort of resolution by now. :)