1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg BA115

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CBNJ, Nov 27, 2013.

1. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother. Supporting Member

So.. I played this amp yesterday at GC and loved everything about it. When I got it home, everything changed. With every knob at normal levels, the volume is LOW - you can barely hear it. The volume and master are maxed - it only gets louder if you crank the bass. The amp is used, so I have 30 days. Is there something wrong with it, or is that how you adjust the volume on it? Did it crap out from the time I left the store? Does their outlet have extra juice?!

With settings like this, it should be quite loud - correct? [​IMG]
  2. lowend1

lowend1

I've said this before. I'm an Ampeg guy, but the BA115 is a huge letdown every time I play through one. Weak tone, low volume, generally uninspiring. In this segment of Ampeg's product line, the BA112 is a great amp for its size, and the B100R was / is a classic. Why they continued to produce the BA115 instead is beyond me.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That sure doesn't seem right. Do they have a new one you can check it against?
  4. CBNJ

I'm heading back to Guitar Center today when they open. Yesterday when I was there, they had a few new ones and another used - guess I'll check out the other used one and see if I can swap it.
  5. lilcrate

lilcrate Supporting Member

Pretty sure the new ones are 220 watts versus 100.

Could be wrong though.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You are and you aren't. They still make the 100w BA115, but they also make the BA115hp, which has 220w.
  7. lilcrate

lilcrate Supporting Member

Ahh.
  8. hodgy

hodgy

Disclosures:
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    Having been in Ampeg tech support for a month now, I can't say this often enough. Buy new!! You'll thank me.
  9. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

What was the difference from playing it in the store as opposed to home?
    Did you try running different cables? Different power supply? Are you playing an active bass? Is your battery still good?

Seems strange an amp would just crap out in transport...
  10. CBNJ

I have no clue.. tried different cables, different basses. At the store, I played passive basses with the volume around 4, and it was loud. Now, I need to have them both maxed to get anything decent out of it. :(
  11. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

I bought mine new, and I never had any problems like that. I love the tone, and, although I couldn't ever play it loud, I had to be real careful with it even at low levels in my apartment, just a slight adjustment would cause a good jump in the volume that would have had the neighbors complaining.
  12. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

I agree. It's the backline at my temple gig and I'n not a huge fan of it.
  13. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I hope you take YOUR OWN bass this time! ;)
  14. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

The bass control on BA115 s does effect the volume. I've played through a few over the years and they've all behaved that way.