ampeg ba115hp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kilgoja, Aug 15, 2013.

1. kilgoja

kilgoja

ok i played this exact same amp at GC using the exact same fender jazz bass and this amp didn't sound anywhere near as good as it does in this video.

can anyone explain why?

not sure what they have that mic going through before it goes into the computer?

look how high the volume is set. it would be blowing you away at that volume with 220watts. it sounds like the amp is barely at half volume probably less. also the eq is flat yet somehow there is a ton of bass coming out of the amp? that's a passive bass so that wouldn't happen.

just wondering what trickery is being used here?

this is why youtube videos can be so misleading as far as how something will sound in reality. i'm telling you this amp doesn't sound 1/2 as good as it does in this video when you play it in reality.

2. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    These amps are very bottom heavy, and get more so as volume increases. Ampeg do that because it is basically a practice amp, so it needs to produce adequate bottom end at low volume (think of it as having the "loud" switch always on). I have many hours experience with this very amp, and it sounds very much like it does in that video. You have to remember that when you test an amp at GC, all the other speakers in the room absorb the bass, so it sounds considerably weaker and thinner than it will in reality. I don't think there was any "trickery" going on at all.

3. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

I've used a ba115hp for a couple years now as my main amp for rehearsal/recording/live in one of the bands I'm in. I even threw down for a brand new custom anvil case for it. Damn good amp. It always sounds good to me. I've played $80 POS basses, all the way up to high dollar warwicks, and everything in between. It's never had an issue, or sounded bad.

4. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

The one at my GC sounds terrible. Tinny and not near as loud as the BA115 100watt version right next to it. I did a little research and found that that particular model has had some lemons. This might be the case, I'm sure one without issues sounds fantastic.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kilgoja

kilgoja

hmmmm interesting.

i played it at GC right next to a GK mb115. the GK blew the ampeg away. it had more low end and better tone to it. the ampeg sounded weak and lifeless to me. must've been a lemon at the store.

7. Old Fart

Old Fart

I like my BA115HPT. It has good tone. Lots of tone options. But.....it's barely giggable. In a fairly quiet band. You can just dime both volume knobs and use the volume pot on your bass.

8. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

I have to compete with a BAM-BAM type drummer, a guitar going thru a fender band master or some sort of Orange 2x12, and a keytar running thru a fender twin. I don't have any problem at all. I used to use a jazz bass that had Dimarzio Model J's in it, almost exclusively. Great rock tone, plenty loud. I would DI into the pa at big shows, and then adjust my amp as needed for stage volume. For rehearsals, we don't mic anything but vocals, and we are loud, but I can hear. For recording, I split my signal between my amp mic'd, and a sans amp bddi. Absolutely great recorded tone. I guess I'm just one of few who are really into this amp. Plus the onboard tuner is just icing on the cake. Mine survived a low speed accident involving a mini van. The volume knob is broke clean off, and the amp tumbled and rolled down a driveway. Other than the broke pot, you'd never know it happened. I sit mine on top of my anvil case at gigs, and that makes big difference. The sound is right behind my torso, instead of right behind my feet.

9. robertusf

robertusf Supporting Member

I had a ba115 which was good for practice and small acoustic gigs. So I bought the BA115hp thinking it would be louder in a band settling. waste of money...it wasn't worth it...not much volume increase. I dumped it for a PF500