1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg BA115HP

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by djhend1, Feb 21, 2014.

1. djhend1

djhend1

I just purchased a brand new ampeg BA115HP. I really like the sound I get. I use an american made fender P bass. I play in country/rock band (more country than rock). The volume and tone control on the bass are wide open. Other settings are as follows

Gain 5
    Style 4
    Bass 9
    Mid 3.4
    Treble 6
    Master 8

From what I've read and heard from the pros, you should always use the master to control the overall volume of your amp. Yet I've heard from others that they turn the master to 10 and use the gain to control the volume. My understanding was that when using the gain to control your volume, static and hiss are amplified along with the bass signal because the percentage of bass going in is too low and your Master level is too high.

I don't know if this is true with every amp or just certain amps. I would be interested to hear what others have to say. I can say that when I put too much gain into my amp and not enough master it sounds distorted and muddy. If I run the master higher than the gain, then I seem to get a nice clean sound.

And yes i know getting good tone starts with your hands...

2. Basshappi

Basshappi

Great amp, Congrats!
    Mine has been my main workhorse for over a decade. To be honest, I don't even know what my settings are without looking.

But you are essentially correct. The gain knob controls how hard the signal from your pickups hits the preamp stage of the amp. A lower gain setting will therefore sound "cleaner" because it is not causing the preamp to introduce distortion into the signal.

Also, I have found that the tweeter adds a lot of noise. Try adjusting the level and see if that helps. I have always kept mine rolled off completely.

3. djhend1

djhend1

it's good to hear yours has lasted over a decade. Hopefully mine will last just as long. I seem to getting a fairly clean sound the way I have it set up now. What I really like about the amp is that the eq is easy to figure out and for a 220 watt amp the price is nice too.

4. DogBone

DogBone

I have a BA210 combo, basically the same as yours except mine has 2 10" drivers instead of the 15".

It's been my main gigging rig for about 7 or 8 years now.

I use a Precision bass.

For what it's worth, here are my settings:

Gain 4 to 6 depending on my mood

Style 2

Bass 5
    Mid 7 to 8
    Treble 5 to 6

Master 2 to 3 (we use electric drums and I also use pa support, so I don't need to turn this up much, but as a rule don't turn my master up past halfway on any of my bass amps)

Anyway, I love mine, it's one of my favorite combos and I've never had a moments trouble with it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Of course, the tweeter doesn't add noise, but merely reveals noise, ie. the quality of your amp circuitry.

This is something to sort of keep in mind. Tweeters are sort of a litmus test for how hi your fi.

I think tweeters in bass cabs are idiotic, a relic of yet another wrong turn bass took in its evolution to "modern bass guitar," but it always amazed and impressed me that when I turned them up on my pro $WR gear there was virtually no added noise.

Then I turned them back down. ;)

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Someone had a sale on restocks of these for $299 a week or so back. Anyone catch that? :confused: