1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg BA115T Crackling Speaker Problem

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Spoonfast10, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Spoonfast10

Spoonfast10

Hi, I just bought a used Ampeg BA115T (the tube version) from someone and it seems to have a little problem.

Some notes (and most of the time that I'm playing), there is a crackle coming from the speaker.

I've tried different instruments and different patch cords, all yielding the same result.

Can anyone help me? Is this a problem with the speaker? I hope I didn't get screwed over.

Thanks so much!

2. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Not enough info yet to be sure but IMO it sounds like the speaker has been hurt. Try opening the thing up and temporarily wire up another cab to test this theory. Does the crackle happen more when you turn up or with the bass EQ knob turned up? Sounds to me like the speaker (driver) is bad but test by substitution first to be sure.

3. Spoonfast10

Spoonfast10

I unfortunately do not have the means to wire up another cab.

The crackle does happen more when I turn it up. I suppose it also does when I turn up the EQ as well.

If the speaker has been hurt, is there any fix or is it a big problem?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

If it is the spkr, it can be repaired or replaced, but you'll have to have it done by a professional.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

My brother in law has the same model amp that was making an intermittent crackling sound as well. We seemed to have traced it down to the tweeter. The crackling stopped and we were unable to reproduce it. I have read somewhere that the tweeters used in these cabs are not the best. There is also a youtube demo on this amp where the owner disconnected the tweeter. Awesome sounding cab BTW! Here is the link.

He mentions the hiss at about 1:00 min. Maybe thats the problem..Good luck!

7. musicman666

^^Also that might fix might void any warranty on the amp.

8. Spoonfast10

Spoonfast10

How much would that cost approx?

Now the crackling stopped when you disconnected the tweeter? The hiss was also gone?

I'm fine with the hiss. It's the crackling I'm worried about.

I bought it from some guy locally (used) and it's a number of years old so I wouldn't think it would still have a warranty.

On a side note, I've heard that maybe it's an issue regarding the tube? Is this possible?

9. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Could also be the preamp tube as you have a tube in close proximity to the vibrations of the speaker. Use a short plate replacement (like JJ ECC803).

10. musicman666

No we did not remove the tweeter..It just stopped making the crackling and we were unable to reproduce it again.

11. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

I didn't think about the tweeter in those. Try disconnecting just the tweeter. I own a BA-115 (not a "T" model) and blew my tweeter a few years back. It made some awful noises (crackling if I remember...) before quitting, disconnected it and bought a replacement and didn't like the sound of it so it is now disconnected. IMO the OEM tweeter was kinda harsh sounding anyway even when it worked properly. Also these amps are designed fairly cheaply and hiss a lot so eliminating the tweeter cut down on the (audible) hiss too.

12. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

May have finally burned the previously damaged tweeter out completely.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My guess. Weak link to an otherwise killer little amp, but really, how many Ampeg lovers want a tweeter anyway?

14. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

+1 my treble knob satisfies my need for brightness in my tone without a tweeter.

15. Old Fart

Old Fart

I've had two buzzing problems with my BA-115HPT.

1) The screws holding the speaker on were not tight. Remove the grille panel and use a screwdriver to make the screws more snug.

2) The physical (crimp) connection between the speaker frame and the speaker magnet became loose. Take one of the handles off to access the area. I used two long, thin black zip ties connected together in order to get all the way around the area where the magnet and speaker frame meet. Snug it up. No more buzz.

If what your amp is doing is truly a crackle, then I suspect the amplifier. Like a crackle you hear when the pots are dirty?

16. SteveL54

SteveL54

I have the BA115HP, and over time it developed buzzing, crackling, and then started to just drop out. I brought it to a tech, and he had seen this before. Lots of cold solder joints. It was still under warranty (just barely by 3 weeks) so the cost was $0. I still use it for practice and small rooms, but it sounds better that the day I bought it new. Certainly worth having someone (qualified) to have a look at it.

17. Spoonfast10

Spoonfast10

Actually, I put my ear close and heard some noise coming from the tweeter. So I disconnected it and I think it's all good now!

I'm going to do some further testing but I think (and hope) it was just the tweeter. I didn't want the bugger anyway!

Thanks all! I'll report back with the news!