1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg BA210sp, BA 115hp or GK MB210 ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by IGeeky1, Jan 13, 2014.

1. IGeeky1

IGeeky1

Hello,

I am a guitar player that has recently migrated to playing (well ...attempting to play) bass as well. I need to get an amp that is able to play with drums for practice and small gigs.

We play beatles, cheap trick sort of stuff. I am looking at the three amps Ampeg BA210sp, BA 115hp or GK MB210 used in the $300 range which would you lean toward and why?

PS - I'm open to other suggestions, my research seemed to show these to be the most likely though, maybe a Carvin MB210 ?.
  2. IGeeky1

IGeeky1

Hmmm ... 100 views and not a single opinion. Since I know these are not obscure amps, I'm going to assume I requested too much of an information dump. sorry

Perhaps this instead. I have $300 to spend on amp and speaker(s) that i would like to play with acoustic drums in practice and small venue. Beatles/Cheap trick style of music . walking the bass stuff.

I'm leaning toward a used GK MB210 combo (350 watt - 500 with external cab) would anybody stear me elsewhere?
  3. pfox14

pfox14

I got a used Ampeg BA-115 (not HP) and it kicks butt, if that's any help.
  4. IGeeky1

IGeeky1

You are playing with acoustic drums and elec guitar and it has no volume issues? I was worried the hp version would be borderline let alone the base 115
  5. ghostfather

ghostfather

I've played the Ampeg BA-115 a few times at a practice space, and to get enough volume to keep up with a couple of guitarists and a drummer in a rock setting, I've had to crank every dial. In the end, it was loud enough but don't expect any headroom or to be able to shape the tone of your bass.

I kind of hate playing through it, but it gets the job done.

Haven't tried the others on your list, though.
  6. Mtnman

Mtnman

I have a MB210 and it rocks!!! I've owned it since I bought it new a few years ago and haven't had a single problem with it. I've probably gigged it 50 times with and without an extension cab and used it at band rehearsals well over 100 times.

I would choose it over the others because of the versatility (500W with extension), voicing and light weight.
  7. IGeeky1

IGeeky1

Thanks for the help everyone!
  8. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    If only I were that good....
    Played through both the BA115 and currently the MB210. have to say the MB210 is the better option...more headroom and ability to grow from there...unless you're deadest on wanting the ampeg tone. I've never been able to try out the Ampeg 210
  9. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I have been underwhelmed by every Ampeg combo I have played through, including the BA300 combo I currently own. They sound good at low volumes but don't get very loud compared to other combos of the same or even lower wattage IMO. I would take the GK for sure. Especially if you can get it used at a good price!
  10. MegaSwing

MegaSwing The Artist Formerly Known As Edward G. Gold Supporting Member

I have a BA210SP, and it is a big mound of Ampeg goodness. The effects are next to useless, except for the SVT module. But the amp is a loud, spongy, tube-emulating fool. It is heavy (76 lbs.) and a little awkward even with handles all over it. If you can buy it for cheap, it's a steal. IMO, $300 is just shy of a steal, but very much worth it. I find mine to be much better than anticipated.