1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

AMPEG BASS MAKING SCREAMING NOISE!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SODDEN6T6, Jan 7, 2014.

1. SODDEN6T6

SODDEN6T6

Hey Bass Gang- I just signed up and this is my first post!! I need SERIOUS help!! Don't laugh at this:bawl: but my band just played a gig with a Japanese band and I accidently plugged my Ampeg Classic Bass cab into their power converter (100V). Played our whole set- the amp stayed on but it was smoking (didn't realize it was me cuz there was a smoke machine going too!). When I got home later to really check it out- I was screwed!! Now it comes on but it makes a REALLY CRAZY BUZZING sound- the polarity lights are both red- and cant be made to turn green. One of the (big) tubes (6550 power amp) were out- so I went ahead and replaced all 6. I also replaced the 1 (12AX7) driver tube. It still does the same thing!! I know I really MESSED UP!! I NEED HELP PLEASE!! WHAT TO DO-WHAT TO DO!
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Did you scare it.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I can only assume since you played the gig that you plugged your AMP HEAD into their converter? With the low voltage you probably overheated some resistors as well. They are not expensive at all but you need an amp tech to find them and check everything over. Hopefully the transformers didn't overheat, that IS expensive.
  4. SODDEN6T6

SODDEN6T6

Yeah- you're right B-String. It was the amp head- I think I forgot to mention that. I was hoping that it would be something that I could fix........but I guess not.....off to the shop it goes!!! THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S ADVICE!!
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Yeah anytime you see smoke protect your investment by taking it to a tech, unless you are one. Minor troubles can become major ones if not taken care of promptly. :)
  6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Check the interior of the head for Godzilla eggs.