Ampeg/Berg Compatibility issues??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by takhammer, Dec 25, 2012.

1. takhammer

takhammer Supporting Member

First of all, Happy Holidays fellow TBer's.

Now, on to the issue at hand.... I have an Ampeg SVT-CL, and the Bergantino HT322, and AE410. My problem is that in pairing the SVT with either of these cabs, it's causing a rattling sound, that i can only guess is some part of the horn configuration. I know that both cabs have a different horn configuration, which makes it all the more surprising, that both cabs have the same issue. The tone of either combo is incredible, but this rattling is so annoying, I can't deal with it. Instead I'm dragging an SVT 810 to all my gigs, large or small. I'd much rather use the Berg/Ampeg combo, due to some lower back issues.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and if you were able to, how did you remedy the situation?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.
  2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    first make sure that the metal grill is fastened securely or that the rattle isn't actually something in the room that sounds like its the cab.
  3. KJung

KJung

Might be something coming from the head that you can't even hear coming out of the one way 810. Given that it happens with both tweeter loaded cabs, and not with the one way cab that rolls off much lower, my guess is you have a bad tube somewhere (or something of the sort) that you just don't hear with the 810.

One way to find out pretty easily is to just turn the tweeter attenuator to the 'mostly off' position on both Berg cabs. If the issue goes away, then you can be pretty sure it is the head and can find a fix (hopeful a preamp tube, and you are back on your way!).
  4. takhammer

thanks ken. I forgot to mention that i have tried to turn down the attenuator and the noise continues.....

Anyone else got a clue what's going on?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. takhammer

7. KJung

KJung

Well, nothing unique about the Berg crossover and tweeter (which are very different anyway betweenyour two Berg cabs).

I would be pretty sure it is an issue with the head. Next step, use another head (borrow from a friend or whatever) and see if you can replicate). Of course make sure you are isolating other differences (speaker cables).

I would still guess it is a preamp tube buzzing around a bit, but who knows. Isolate, isolate, isolate! Good luck!

Edit: Grill rattling (per an earlier post) can make you crazy, since it often sounds like something else. So, to isolate that from both those cabs, sit in front of each cab and when you hear the 'rattle', put your foot firmly on the grill and see if the noise goes away. I have had to tighten the screws on my AE410 and AE210 to eliminate a grill rattle. The little plastic screw covers pop right off with a flathead screwdriver. Worth a shot!

Also, makes sure to test in different locations, since 'basement rattle' can also be hard to localize, and often sounds like it is coming from the cab.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't think a tube would act up in two cabs but be fine in a third, but stranger things have happened. Tried the chopstick test yet?
  9. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I can assure you that the combination with an SVT and a Berg HT322 is a succesful one as I have both.
    Ironically, I have had a problem with the tubes rattling, but that's only with the SVT switched off, cab being driven by another head, and the SVT either sitting on the cab or next to it on the floor. No problem when used to drive the cab.
    That combination can produce really full low notes; at volume my house will rattle before the cabinet.
  10. KJung

KJung

The only thing I can think of there is that both Berg's put out significantly more true low end than the fridge, which may result in more 'rattle and buzz'. Who knows though.
  11. takhammer

Thanks again for all the thoughts guys. I haven't been able to find time to run any more tests, as I haven't been feeling well.

I forgot to mention before that these cabs both worked perfectly with my db750, before it started having issues, and that the reason I bought the db750 was b/c of this same rattling when I first bought these cabs(around a year ago).

However, that being said, I still don't think it's a tube issue. Not sure what it is, but I'll keep you all updated. Thanks again