1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg BXT bi-amping question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by karstetterpj, Feb 11, 2013.

1. karstetterpj

karstetterpj

Disclosures:
    Commercial User
    Hey guys (and gals),

I've had an Ampeg BXT 410 for a while now and should be acquiring a BXT 115 within a few weeks. After that I should be getting an SVT 4 with my tax refund, which brings us up to my question at hand.

I've been reading up on Bi-amping for a bit and the growing consensus on TB is that it should be avoided at all costs. Has anyone tried running the 410 with the 115 before (even better if it was through an SVT4), either biamped or at full range? I was wondering if the 410 would overpower the 115 or not because at least in my mind, it seems like they were meant to be paired together.

Thanks!
  2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

They are NOT "meant" to be together.

Plenty of threads here about mixing speaker sizes - not suggested.

As far as bi-amping goes, a single 15 handling the low frequencies only requires a single 6" mid driver.

If you don't mind carrying around a heavy 4X10 cab to do the work of a 6" mid speaker, go for it.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 to run a bi-amped rig, you need spkr cabs designed to run at certain frequencies. Bass cabs are all "full range", and thus, not suitable for biamping.
  4. karstetterpj

karstetterpj

Disclosures:
    Commercial User
    So biamping a 410 with a 115 would only be as powerful as the weakest speaker in the chain? That makes sense but makes me wonder why amp manufacturers include bi amp options on their heads when bass amps are full range and are not meant to be used that way. Are there any options outside of biamping that would yield decent results with a 410/115 combo or is the 115 a waste of money?