1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg Cab(s) recommendations for PF800 Head

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jmbjandfam, Feb 2, 2014.

?

Ampeg Cab(s) for Ampeg PF800 Head?

Poll closed Feb 16, 2014.
  1. 2 PF115HE Cabs

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 2 PF115LF Cabs

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. 1 PF115LF Cab / 1 PF115HE Cab

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. 1 PF410HLF Cab

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. 1 SVT410HLF Cab

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. jmbjandfam

jmbjandfam Supporting Member

I recently acquired an Ampeg PF800 head and am having a hard time deciding which cab or cabs to pair with it. I would like to stick with Ampeg cabs and have been able to play a couple but do not have access to all the options.

I prefer a thick beefy tone but still enjoy a little upper end definition but nothing hifi. This quote from Jamareo Artis (Bruno Mars) describes it best: "I love the round, warm old school tone that’s thick but that also cuts through."

Applications that I would like to be able to cover with this set up would be home practice, jamming with friends, or small/medium size gig.

I am leaning towards either 2 15's or a single 410.

The following are the combinations I am considering:

Ampeg PF800 Head paired with:

1. 2 PF115HE cabs

2. 2 PF115LF cabs

3. 1 PF115LF cab / 1 PF115HE cab

4. 1 PF410HLF cab

5. 1 SVT410HLF cab

Anybody have any experience with any of these combinations?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No experience with the two newest PF cabs (PF115lf and 410hlf), but I have plenty of experience with the others, and they will all do what you want IMHO. They all have big low end with the SVT410hlf having the biggest, the PF410hlf next, followed by the PF115lf and PF115he. Me personally, I like higher tuned low end so out of your choices I'd go PF115he, but that's how they shake out.
  3. Quaff1

Quaff1 Supporting Member

I voted 115HE as that's what I have and I can tell you that 1 sounds really good but 2 sound great

IMO the 115HE gives you great portability with excellent sound versatility. As Jimmy said you get a little higher tuned low-end with the sealed cabinet but also 3 horn options (off/-6/0) - so to me - having 2 115's has great low end without getting boomy - and solid mid/higher range tones depending on what you like. Currently I am leaving one horn on -6 and have the other horn off

After I bought my first 115HE I tried it with a borrowed SVT115E - which sounded awesome too - and I seriously considered this as a full-time possibility. The ported lows of the SVT with tighter 115He with horn made a pretty killer combo.

However, I bent to conventional wisdom and bought the matching cab and haven't looked back

I also tried out the 115LF and the 210HE - but the 115HE just sounded better to me.

I hope this helps!
  4. jmbjandfam

Thanks guys for the comments. I was able to get out and find a few more of the cabs to try today.

So far I've been able to try the PF115HE, PF210HE (which wasn't on my list), PF410HLF and the SVT410HLF. The only one I couldn't find was the PF115LF.

Out of everything so far, my favorite tone is the PF115HE. I like the flip top option, adjustable tweeter and size /weight / portability as well.

It seems to be the winner in both tone and package.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Will a PF800 fit the pre-drilled holes for the fliptop lid?

Honestly, I never poked the holes out of mine when I had them. Owning a B-15 made me get over flipping the lid really quick ;)
  6. Quaff1

Quaff1 Supporting Member

Yes - I have the PF800 mounted on the 115HE - you just have to be careful which way you mount it - meaning the holes aren't centered on the width of the top.

On one side the holes are 3" away from the edge - the other side the holes are 2.5" away

Make sure you mount it so the front of the amp is screwed into the holes that are 3" away from the edge. Counter-intuitive but its the only way it will fit.

I didn't realize this and just mounted it. Unfortunately I got it wrong and it wouldn't fit in the cabinet.

It took me a while to figure it out as a 1/2" difference isn't exactly easy to notice unless you are looking for it. I had to undo and remount which is not something I was thrilled about. It's a little bit of a tricky operation to do by yourself. You really have to be careful not to strip the threads in the amp and not have a secure mount.

Jason
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Wow, too much work for me. I'd pass on that, especially with me not being a flipping fan to begin with. Funny...it's what gave the B-15 its identity, and yet I hate doing it. Who saw that one coming? ;)
  8. jmbjandfam

What surprises me most is that I like the sealed cab better than the ported cab. Didn't see that one coming at all.
  9. Dean25

Dean25

Anyone comment on pairing the Ampeg PF800 with a svt 4-10hlf. Just sent the buy order for the amp and cab. Any worries with the watt difference or just keep an eye on the master?
    Thx!
    D
  10. jmbjandfam

I tried this combo in store but not at loud volumes. It was my second favorite cab with the PF800 head. I am still trying to decide which cab.

As far as power rating, I think the SVT410HLF will be fine with the PF800 head as long as you use your ears.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Yep, they all have volume knobs. Use them wisely. Will work very well together as long as you watch volume.