1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg CL w/810 inbound...any advice?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kmon, Nov 23, 2012.

1. kmon

kmon

Some of you guys have seen me posting looking for info on my consideration of an ampeg cl/8x10 setup...

I'll be picking up a full USA-made setup this week. SVT CL and 8x10, both AV models.

I'm ******* stoked:bassist:

Any advice? I've never owned an all-tube amp...is a checkup by a tech a must? Waddya think?

2. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Congrats! It being USA made is it used? If so then yes take it to a tech for a checkup. Once again congrats and welcome to the face melt!

3. kmon

kmon

yeah my accountant nixed a new one;-)

dunno whether it makes a huge difference but i'm thrilled to own a US made rig!!! Both head and cab are SLM made

4. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I would suggest you read the manual first. Believe it or not there is allot of good info in that little booklet...lol. Seriously though the manual will show you how to set the bias properly if the amp doesn't sound right, letting the tubes warm up for a little and all that good stuff!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

:D:D:D

The only advice I can give is to plug her in and play the crap out of it!!!

Congrats!!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't do full retubes unless all your tubes are dead (highly unlikely).

8. rodl2005

rodl2005

Congrats.
    Be sure to have a correct impedance ( 2 or 4 ohm cab) load connected before switching on.
    Remember there's glass inside, & yes, enjoy.

9. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

Lift from the knees. Get a road case for the head.

10. rickdog

rickdog

+1 on the manual. You should be able to get it on the Ampeg web site.

+2 on "lift from the knees." ;) Don't worry, when your bandmates hear it they'll probably be glad to help you move it!

How old is it? Unless it's old enough to worry about the power supply caps going bad, you think it led a hard life, or there's an obvious problem (won't bias correctly with the procedure in the manual, an output tube red-plating, or just "sounds wrong") you might be able to skip the tech. Then again, you might be able to convince your "accountant" that the cost of a checkup is cheap insurance on a major investment!

The SVT-AV is a master volume amp like the SVT-CL, right? I like my CL with the preamp gain cranked up a bit. Playing passive basses into the 0 dB input, it starts to get nice and thick but not overtly distorted with the gain knob at about 1:00. But if you like big, clean tube sound, crank the master up all the way, and use the gain knob as your volume control.

Any way you play it, that's a nice rig!

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    SVT-AV is a CL with the blue silver grill and nicer tolex.

12. hodgy

hodgy

Disclosures:
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    I like the AV over the VR, CL, and the Heritage CL. There's just something about those heads that make me very happy.

13. kmon

kmon

it's 6 or 7 years old and hasn't been used heavily. It's in fantastic shape, especially compared to 3/4 of the used 8x10s out there that have strips of ripped tolex hanging off

I'll try it with my benz uber 4x10 too...the 8x10 is probably overkill for me but damn, the deal was right and the matching AV head and cab look sexy as hell:D

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I always take any "new" to me used tube amps in to my tech, just to be safe. Usually costs me around $60 for complete piece of mind.

15. bertbass666

bertbass666

The 8x10 isn't overkill. You'll hear what you're playing better than with a 4 x 10. It will take up no more room on stage that a 4 x 10 and it will be easier to move than a 4 x 10. You win which ever way you look at it.

16. kmon

kmon

yeah I'll probably take it in if I can spend about that much...austin ampifier is supposed to be pretty good for that kind of thing

17. kmon

kmon

all true...we'll see about moving it...the Uber is lighter obviously but it's actually pretty awkward to move...got wheels but I'm bent way over

18. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Congrats! You're going to love it!

19. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

Picked up a 83 vintage SVTII which was a working amp but still in good shape. According to the pre-owner it had been sitting for years. Plugged it into a SVT810 cab (or two) and it's worked perfect. Had a little scratch out of the "BAL OUT" switch - had a local metal fab shop make a replacement steel cover for $20 bucks. I expected it to need a shop visit but so far it hasn't been needed.
    Biggest problem so far is the weight - OMG!

20. Randyt

Randyt

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    Something I learned here on TB...outside of EQ'ing...when running volume...I usually run master at 8-9 and use the gain for overall volume control...clean, clear, tons of head room..
    My SVT rig and 810...totally nails the tone in my head...
    Also, learn how to bias....I bias quite often as I move from venue to venue...easy....literally 5 minutes to do!!!

21. bassboysam

bassboysam

Tech is a must. find a good one you just never know how it has been treated. my suggestion, if you want the classic SVT sound then play it with master on full and use the gain to adjust volume.