Ampeg Combo I am looking at.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro Banned

Who owns one of the Ampeg BA 115 Bass Combo Amplifier 1x15" 100 Watt Tilt Back BA115 Amp and how do you like it?

2. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Makes a good practice amp. It works with a quieter band in a small room, but I wouldn't use it with a rock or metal band.

3. Grissle

Grissle

I love my other Ampeg gear but this one is kinda to big for a practice amp but to awkward and under powered for gigs. I think the smaller ba series even sound a little better personally. But having said that, its still definitely Ampeg sounding and I do use it.

4. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro Banned

I am looking at it for a replacement of my 50 Watt Rogue Amp. Depending on the room and type of music the 50 Watts has been enough. Not great but just enough. There are days I just don't want to drag the half stack out or as I work nights I cannot practice much with most bands so I tell them I can do an hour to hour and a half before work long as I am back in time to gather my stuff and go. The Catch is I can't swing this if I have the 70Lb rack, 4x10 cabs, bass, cord bag and my pedal board, or never mind the pedal board, I don't have the time to load and un load the big stuff. :bassist:

I don't see much else to be had that I like and the Ampeg is affordable. Are there any reliability issues that anyone knows of?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

The new BA115 has a speaker out and 150 watts.

7. bnolsen

bnolsen

the ba112v2 will be 75W.

However a carvin mb15 runs a little more at ~370usd with 200W and 250W if a cab is added (32lbs). The mb10 ~330usd, same wattage (23lbs). Be nice to demo these locally...

Then there's the genbz benz fire sale on their contour combo amps if you want to start getting into real power (46lbs).

Yes I am fishing for info myself.

8. DogBone

DogBone

Before you buy the BA115, I would suggest you at least audition the BA112.

Yeah, it's smaller, has less wattage, but 1. It's almost as loud as the BA115 2. It's cheaper than the BA115 3. It doesn't have a hissy tweeter that often gets unhooked like the BA115 4. It's lighter than the BA115 5. It is easily the best sounding of the BA series, by a long shot.

Don't get me wrong, I like the BA115 and the BA series in general (my main gigging rig for years and years is an older BA210 and I love it to death), but the BA112 just fits the "grab and go" niche so perfectly, and the tone is SMOKING GOOD, up there with the esteemed Rocket series of bass amps IMO.

Good luck with the hunt, and I will say with the new V2 (Version 2) of the BA series hitting the stores soon there are deals to be had on the original BA series.

Also I will suggest emailing Musicians Friend at Forums@musiciansfriend.com and asking for the talkbass discount. It's how I buy all my new gear. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

9. Linnin

Linnin

10. neddihem

neddihem

My experience with the BA115 is reallyy good sounding amp, definitely not a gigging amp unless it's a soft volume gig.

I got rid of mine because it had an intermittent distortion issue, almost sounding like the speaker was blown (but it wasn't). I used be an Ampeg only person but their quality seems to have suffered lately. But I'll always have a love for that Ampeg tone.

11. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I'd go with a Carvin MB15 over that Ampeg. FWIW my church has one and I have played through it... It s about 8 years old now or so.. and has been through a lot .. It has had two repairs done to it.. and it works now.. it sounds ok... but IMO the Carvin is a better choice in every category from price to front end to expandablity..If that Ba-115 is not enough for you .. you will be SOL .. with the the MB15 you can add a second cab if you need to.. and it is $10 cheaper and at least 32lbs is at least 10lbs lighter. The 115MB extension cab is 30lbs. If the 115 is not enough 115 x 2 should cover most stuff that you would need.

12. RC52

RC52

If you can hunt down a used one , check out the B100R. I've had one for 4 years . Like it much better than the BA series.

Only 100 watts, but a loud 100, tone goes on forever !

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Yeah, B100R. I have not come across a better sounding SS combo.

14. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro Banned

OP said the 300 Watt version was the one that failed. While the 100 Watt amp might struggle with power that is to be expected but it's still better then the 50 Watts I have now. And I would not ever need to do anything more then rehearse with a combo.

15. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro Banned

That seems to be a much better value thank you!

16. Linnin

Linnin

Yes the OP personally experienced 200% rate of catastrophic failure. Ampeg's BA series of combos has a history frought with unreliability issues of all kinds. You asked, and you deserve to know the truth.

17. Kevindavid3

Kevindavid3

I have a 6 year old ampeg 115 cause I had to sell my mark bass stuff. The ampeg has been nothing but problems, always crackles and pops and volume goes up and down. Also had smoke come out once.

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

That was the same problem mine developed. I returned it for an SVT-6Pro, which had it's own issues. That got replaced by an SLM SVT-CL which never gave me any problems aside from a blown power tube, but that was my own doing from running a mismatched load. I will never buy another Vietnampeg again, I would still consider SLM if I REALLY had to have Ampeg.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Right, because SLM amps never broke ever.

:eyebrow:

Historical note...Ampegs were made in Vietnam in 2007 and 08 only.

Anyway, BA115...nice little combo for the money. Not the lightest amp ever but not prohibitively big either, and many folks still like the traditional solid state designs that are heavier than these little micros. They have a new one coming out that adds footswitchable distortion, 150w vs 100w in the old one, and the head controls in front, which make them more accessible when tilted back. Makes no claims to be the greatest amp ever, but does have a sound.

20. M0ses

M0ses

I use my BA115 for all my gigs. Maybe I'm just really lucky to never play gigs where you need more than a stage monitor. It's a good sounding amp. Not as good as the Rocket Bass, it lacks some warmth, IMO, but it's nice.

21. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro Banned

Well thanks. I can see the Carvin, made I the USA at the same price range with more wattage is a far better consideration. Found one on ebay already. Don't have the money yet but found one to watch the auction.

Whatever it may lack can be fixed with my DOD pedal board. I honestly just forgot about Carvin stuff. I used to live near the place where they make it all. Been there a few times. Anytime I can buy American I will. Though I will say I never really liked Carvin stuff much. It's only a step up from Peavy but then the Ampeg I was looking at has the same type of Solid state sound anyway.