1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg Devil bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jetjon, Dec 12, 2012.

1. jetjon

jetjon

I recently just watched a Netflix DVD about the Johnny Cash Show 1969-1971. Jerry Lee Lewis's bass player used an Ampeg Devil bass in the video-What an amazing instrument-any comments?

2. jbossolo

jbossolo

3. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sorry if I sounded a bit blunt there. Here's everything you'd ever want to know about Ampegs:
    http://www.xstrange.com/

No affiliation, other than I own one of his AEB 2's. His craftmanship and attention to detail are unbelievable. One of these days I'm pulling the trigger on one of his SSB's.

4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Here's the only film clip I myself have seen with the bass player using a Devil bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jbossolo

jbossolo

Just found this one:

Outstanding tone. The aesthetics of the Devil are growing on me, particularly in fretless version.

7. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, we Ampeg Scroll Bass fans are a small crowd, and I seem to have become the keeper of the proverbial flame. I have two original Devil Basses in my own personal collection. I have two customers' Devil Basses here right now undergoing restoration. Over the years, I've restored about ten of them so far. Only about 100 were made, and my guess is that only 60 or so are left. Most of them are in bad shape. I know of only about five that are in original, excellent condition. The other nice ones are the ones I've restored.

In 2013, I plan to be finally (Finally!!!) introducing my new-generation version of the Devil Bass. I've been working on them (or, should I say, not working on them...) for about ten years. But the design and tooling are finally coming together. So, they will be available for those unusual souls that want one.

8. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier

9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Well, if you like that tone, that is pretty much exactly what they sound like.

That's my Devil bass in front -

[​IMG]

10. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

That is great news!

11. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Like Ampeg basses much? :p
    How are they working? I heard a lot of those mystery pickups were faulty, and they often got modified with Fender pickups and the like.

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The pickups on my scroll basses work perfectly. I haven't heard of a problem with the "mystery pickups" failing. I mean, I've heard of it happening, but it's rare, IME. The main reason people add Fender pickups to these basses is that they don't like the sound of the stock pickup. Which is totally understandable if you listen to that clip linked above.

I love these basses as works of art. They play well and are light as a feather. I just wish they sounded better.