1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg Diamond Blue Club: B200R, B100R, B50R

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mazdah, Apr 18, 2012.

1. mazdah

mazdah

What can I say?
    I got little jelous ;) seeing that new Portaflexes are being so much popular and loved here so I decided to remind you about their discontinued ancestors.

Anybody still loves old Rocket combos?

Post pics, stories and your opinions about them!
    I'll post a picture of mine B200R when I get back from a gig tonight :bassist:

PM me for numbers!!
  2. stiles72

stiles72

One of my favorite Ampegs...

[​IMG]
  3. anderbass

anderbass

I've got lots of other cool amps/cabs to choose from, but I still prefer using a B100R combo for some gigs or rehearsals.

I've got the speaker wires connected through 1/4" plugs-jacks to use both of my B100R's as awesome sounding cabs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I've used a B50R & a B100R since they came out.
    My favorite SS combo amps ever.
    I've recored for years with my B50R, they record great.
  5. Rick Blanc

Rick Blanc Supporting Member

I've been using the B50R for about eight years for a practice amp in the band room. Love that little thing.
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I owned a B100R, wish I still had it. great amps, without a tube anywhere.
  7. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    5/5 star solid state combo amps for sure (and tons of threads on here about B100R love). I've even done some recording with mine, was surprised at how good the line out sounded. It's an excellent amp for my hip hop band. I wouldnt use it for anything aggressive though.
  8. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

+1!!!!

God I wish I never got rid of mine. There was just no end to the tone available.
  9. mazdah

mazdah

Allright, so here's mine:

[​IMG]

Anyone else?

I wonder if it's possible to buy replacement speaker for this beast.
    Mine is buzzing a little on C note and it's not from amp chassis or casters
    (I put them off for tests) ... it may be a damaged cone :(
  10. anderbass

anderbass

mazdah, make sure your wire terminals are clean/tight at the speaker and the speaker mounting screws aren't just loose.
  11. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Here is a clip of mine in action (live/rehearsal Cirrus direct to B100, DI with some room mics picking things up, sort of improvising through these songs):

Rap Hop Demo Track 2 by dr_thunda on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Just throwing this in since many dig the B-100R but I've never seen anyone post a clip. I'd love to hear more.

Point of comparison- same song using my Bass 400 and Sansamp BDDI:

18th Street - Demo Track by dr_thunda on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
  12. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Best money I ever spent on an amp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

The B-100 is one of my all time favorite combos, I liked it so much I bought a second one. Alas, both are gone as I never keep anything for a long time.
  14. stiles72

stiles72

Check the cardboard port tubes also. They can come loose inside and cause a buzzing.
  15. Eyesee7

Eyesee7

Love my B50R. Got it for $200 on Ebay, but the seller shipped it with nothing but clear tape around it! I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the UPS guy come into my shop and fling it on top of a workbench, thinking it was a box or crate! I'm fortunate the only thing damaged in transit was that the metal "Ampeg" insignia on the front broke in half.
    I'd like to get a 100, too.
  16. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

I just picked up a US Made B100R used. I have had a couple of them in the past, and I honestly think they are one of the best sounding solid state combos ever made. They aren't light weight, but the tone is so close to a B15N and it really sits so nicely in a mix.
  17. mazdah

mazdah

My B-200R went back to technician. Bias went crazy (after month of use) and there's a bad rattle on C and C# notes and it's not casters, chassis or tweeter :(
  18. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

I've had a B100R for almost a decade, and it's been the most reliable piece of equipment I've owned. I would never get rid of it. For a while I was between large rigs and broke, and it was my only amp for practices, gigs and all. These amps will hold their own through a lot of use and abuse, and still come out sounding great. Not only are the few repairs they ever need worth it, but even if the amps blow completely, the cab itself is an absolute tank. I go through gear rather quickly, but I've never even considered selling this thing for a minute. I'd have been sunk a dozen times without it.
  19. bassman64

bassman64

I have a B100R and love it.

got it about 11 years ago when they were still made in the USA.

I recently put it in my sons room for him to use with his Korg DW-6000

I had to buy myself a new amp :D I wish I could get a 300 w version of the B100R
  20. mc_muench

mc_muench

How does the B100R amp fair against a 30 watt tube guitar combo? Been looking looking at getting one, they look so sexy and though I havent played through one yet, it seems like they sound as sexy as they look. Only look at it for practicing, jamming and maybe small gigs, acoustic or electric.