1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ampeg dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by twotonetommy4, Feb 13, 2014.

1. twotonetommy4

twotonetommy4

guys,

i've seemed to have found myself in quite the Ampeg dilemma...:confused:

So currently I own a 1969 Ampeg B25b head. Its in really great condition and everything on it works just fine, I've had it for a little over a year now and never have had a problem with it. The problem is that it runs at 16 ohms and is only 50 watts. I use it mainly for gigs and it just seems to not give me enough head room and gets distorted too early on the volume knob for me to get to a good level for gigs. i love the tone i do, but its just not "boomy" enough for most gigs.

So i'm thinking of selling it and "upgrading" to a 1975 V4b. I've found one for $700 in a local CL sale and I think I wanna pull the trigger on buying it. I need cash though, so that is why I wanna sell the B25b. The V4b would give me twice the watts correct? and it runs at 4 ohms, which works a lot better for my classic HLF 4x10 cab (which is currently wired to 16 ohms, but I would like to get it wired back to its original 4 ohms.)

My question is, is stupid of me to sell the B25b/should I hold onto it for nostalgic and rarity purposes??? Or should I sell the b25b and get the V4b.

What do you guys think I should do??? Any words of wisdom or advice from you dudes would be greatly appreciated.
  2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    The extra 50 watts probably won't be a huge difference. But there may be other factors that contribute to a noticeable difference in perceived volume. Maybe one of our resident Ampeg experts can help. I've personally never played though a V4.
  3. Sartori

Sartori

You might find that a different cab cuts through a bit better than the 410HLF. It's voiced very differently from the traditional Ampeg big full low mids.
  4. twotonetommy4

twotonetommy4

thanks for the help so far guys! i'm trying to avoid buying another cabinet...i love my HLF. any other ideas from others? anyone have experience with both the b25b and the v4b?
    again, thank you all
  5. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1

An efficient 215 wired for 4 and 16 Ohms would be the ticket. The HLF isnt going to pair well with most tube amps. IMHO there are much better Ampeg cabs out there.

The V4B is only going to net you a few db more. In fact an SVT is still only going to net you a few more than that. The issue here *is* your cab.
  6. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Another +1.

If you really want more clean volume, ditch the 410HLF and get an 810.
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

A vintage V4B puts out closer to 130W, despite what it is rated for on paper. Match it with a better cab. The vintage V4B has massive transformers which make a difference when it comes to tone.

I think that whether or not you sell the B25B depends on how badly you need the cash. It would be better to buy a V4B and use it for a while, then sell the B25B down the road if you don't need it. On the other hand if you need to sell it to upgrade, then it makes sense.
  8. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Unless you have some huge emotional attachment, sell the B25 and get an SVT.
    A V4B was one of the best sounding amps I've ever owned but just not enough clean headroom with a 2x15 or 2x12 for a rock band IME.
  9. Sartori

Sartori

It probably sounds good on its own, but in my experience, in a dense mix, that cab's sound gets lost really easy.
  10. Jheake

Jheake

That cab can be eq'd. Get any SVT and call it a day. The cab is fine. I own and gig a HSVT 410hlf and the cab cuts through fine. It just requires a lot of power to run. I use a SVT 7pro
  11. Sartori

Sartori

I found that basically no matter what I did on the EQ, the 410HLF had this untameable low end that just couldn't be gotten rid off. Also, basically no mids. At all. At least not enough for the stuff I was doing. But then, the band that I was using it in rehearsal in (was a rehearsal space cab I was using), has a really really dense mix.

It's not that it's a bad cab, just not ideal for some situations. I don't think it's really that suitable for some amp heads, either (especially low to mid power tube amps).
  12. twotonetommy4

twotonetommy4

Cool! thank you guys