1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg flatback or NV610

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bluesgrunt, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Bluesgrunt

Bluesgrunt Supporting Member

About to pull the trigger on a flatback which needs restoration.
    Ihad a flatback back in the 80s which I also restored( lotta work). but really liked it.
    Before I commit to the project thought I'd check in an get some opinions.
    2 drivers have shall hole in their surround. Can I fix that or do I need to recone them?
    I also have access to a 78 tilt back cab with original eminence drivers all good for about $100 less. This would require cosmetic restoration as well/ Are the CTS drivers SIGNIFICANTLY better tonewise?
    Finally, I have heard that the Bergantino NV610 sounds like the old flatbacks with the CTS. Has anyone actually A?B evaluated them side by side to form an opinion?

Wondering if I should just wait in the weeds for a bergantino to come along or invest the work and cash to bring this flatback back to life.

All input welcome
  2. Bluesgrunt

Bluesgrunt Supporting Member

Neglected to mention that I would not have a chance to listen to the cabs. both are far away.
  3. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

I would narrow the choice down to the flat back and the Bergantino.

Size and weight and portability are big issues, but if you are talking tone alone it's a tough call. I've played both but never side to side.

Just because you get a very similar tone with the Bergantino but can put more power through it without worrying it would be my choice. The flat hacks require some caution if used alone with a cranked SVT.
  4. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

I've got both but only recently and haven't done a proper A/B.

You wanna drive in one day? Maybe I can talk the studio guy into letting us do a comparison in their big room. My basement is hardly ideal.
  5. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

I'd love to hear your impressions if you do this.