Ampeg Heritage 810 vs Bergantino NV610

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lavaman67, Nov 2, 2012.

1. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

I have owned and enjoyed a NV610 for about 7 years now, and I have been intrigued by the Ampeg Heritage 810. I love my NV610 and I have owned several Ampeg 810's over the years... 70's, 80's and 90's versions. I was wondering if anyone has any direct comparisons with the Heritage 810 vs the NV610? Please no comparisons like, 6-8 speaker or the 810 will be closer to my head level. I am looking for direct comparisons on sound only. I am not sure I why I am interested, other than the grass is always greener and I have had the same rig for quite some time. My '76 SVT isn't going anywhere. Any insightful comments would be appreciated.

2. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

I too have been gigging an nv610 for years and owned several ampegs. I haven't used a heritage but have played on the brand new ampeg 8x10's that sound better than the muddy ones. Im willing to bet that they use the same speakers or eminence B810's. Either way, the ampeg is alittle clearer up top but, it will never punch like the nv610 or have the same controlled bottom. It's a trade off. For the portability and working great in even the worst sound rooms, I'd stick with the Berg. You'll like the ampeg better at home I think, but at a gig the berg still works better overall.

For the record, I also own a vintage svt and really don't care for it through the berg but love it through the ampeg cab.

3. lavaman67

What do you not like about the vintage SVT through the NV610, but love about the Ampeg 810?

4. Tim1

Tim1

Well, I am going to run a little against the crowd on this one. I owned a Berg 610 for a few years and gigged it regularly with an SVT VR. Currently I have neither, having decided that my Berg NV215 suited ny Berg tastes more. The Berg 610 is a great cabinet without doubt, but I came to two conclusions earlier this year:
    1) If I am going to run an all tube SVT the head will be made in USA (just a personal thing:D)
    2) If I am going to run an all tube SVT it will be into an Ampeg 810 cab (don't mind if it is overseas made).
    While I enjoyed the Berg 610 I never quite felt it gave me the same room filling oomph of my much earlier SVT2/810 rig. And man I tried to convince myself. My band mates also commented along similar lines. I played a Heritage SVT/810 rig in Oz last year and IMO it was a cut above the Berg 610. I rather have the feeling in my head that if Jim made a Berg 810 it would walk over everything in its path, but he doesn't and I can understand why. Plus there is the synergy of Ampeg into Ampeg and the bling factor....Just my .02

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

I can't offer a direct A-B comparison between the two, but I own and regularly use the HSVT-CL and the HSVT 810.

I have played the Berg and found it "underwhelming" to me. It's a good cab, to be sure, but I never found it to be the end all that it is purported to be by the owners on TB.

The Heritage gear, to my ears, is the finest equipment Ampeg has built in many, many years. Again, just one man's opinion and, as in all things, YMMV.......:D

7. bassboysam

bassboysam

I dont have a lot of experience the the Berg but i did play it briefly. compared my late 70s ampeg (loaded with legend b810s) the berg is a little more modern sounding with deeper lows. the ampeg seems to always sound angry and dirty, more mids and not as smooth as the berg.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Heritage has real pretty grillcloth. Got nothing else.

:D

9. Tim1

Tim1

You are a naughty boy, James ;)

10. lavaman67

11. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you like what you have, then stick with it. The nice thing about those 810e's is that you can go find one to play through easier than your NV610. Drag your whole set up down there and A/B the cabs. Hell if you are making the trip try out as many cabs as you can. You may find that you dont like ones you thought you might, and you may find you like something else completely. Or you may go home and realize your current rig is perfect for you.

12. lavaman67

The Heritage 810's are not a easy to find. To my knowledge, they are only making 250 a year?

13. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Go play an SVT 810e. Only difference is cosmetics.

14. lavaman67

I have played through dozens of Ampeg 810's over the years, see original post. The new Eminence drivers and the birch enclosure will make a difference in the sound. It's not just cosmetic changes.

15. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    And they are not using those in the new 810e's? Last I heard the only difference between the Heritage and SVT cabs was cosmetics.

16. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I would actually contact Hodgy. He builds the heritage lines. He might be able to give you a better comparison between what he is currently building and cabs that you may have played in the past.

17. Road Bull

Road Bull Supporting Member

I think you are thinking of the 810e and the 810AV. Supposedly, the only difference between the anniversary 810 and the standard 810 are cosmetic in nature.

The heritage line is different.

18. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Good to know. If this is the case then Hodgy is still the guy to talk to.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I had a chance to spend some time with a Heritage rig a while back. I'm not sure if we are ever going to run our full article regarding the Heritage head and 810, so here are some of the pics I took. For comparison's sake, that is a 2008 SVT-810e and my '74 SVT next to the Heritage SVT-CL and Heritage SVT-810.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two cabs definitely sounded different. The Heritage had more low mids going on and was more smooth up top. The 810e had more upper midrange clarity.

I did a comparison of an older SVT-810 to my NV610 some time ago, but I have not done a recent comparison. I'll see if I can work something in with the 810e and the NV610.

20. lavaman67

21. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

IMO the Bergantino NV610 is the nicest sounding 10" cab I've ever used.
    Pair it with any good tube amp = tone heaven.