1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg Iso-Vent love?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sleeping buddha, Dec 6, 2007.

1. sleeping buddha

sleeping buddha

Disclosures:
    Endorsed by Welch basses
    Who else has one of these beast's? I got mine about a year ago and I'm lovin' it. Of course they weigh a ton and a half, but thats why it's my church rig that I don't move unless ABSOLUTLEY nessecary. So...give it some love y'all.
  2. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Photos!

Ampeg did some other relatively innovative things besides the original SVT and B15 stuff, cool things not many people ever gave them credit for.
  3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

What one is the Iso-Vent?

Is that the downward firing 2x15 folded horn + 2x10 front loaded cab?
  4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

I believe that's the one you mean.

There were a few different flavors - one of mine had front ports, the other was rear ported. They're pretty hard to find, but have a resale value of about $ 0.35, at least around here. I lost too much money when I had to sell them, but 2 of these cabinets is overkill for the living room. Very good cabs though.
  5. thehurlatron

thehurlatron

My friend had one some years back. It was a 210 front firing with two 15's isobaric mounted on the bottom. (push/pull)
    This pic is not mine, just an example of what one is.

[​IMG]
  6. coolrunner989

coolrunner989 Supporting Member

There is one of these at a local shop for 350, im curious enough to go try it out sometime...

I bet they sound huge.
  7. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    Yep, clamshell isobaric, not folded horn. Isobaric designs can get twice as many drivers in half the space without sacrificing low frequency extension or further emphasizing a response hump.

Uses a quasi/boundary loading for the [sub]woofer section, like my Ampeg Extreme:

[​IMG]
  8. sleeping buddha

sleeping buddha

Disclosures:
    Endorsed by Welch basses
    I paid $300 for mine..so I guess $350 isn't bad. Try to talk them down. Just be sure your back can handle it!

The research I did said that they made about 357 Iso-Vents if memory serves. I don't know how true that is tho.

I couldn't imagine running 2 of these things. You could break loose fault lines with something like that!:bassist:
  9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

My bad for getting the terminology wrong, but thats the one i was thinking of. Looks like a beast of a cab!
  10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

There was another one, a little 2-15 back-to-back cab. Small, but takes nearly any amount of power you can throw at it. Won't fart at any power level that doesn't burn it up.

Back woofer is rolled out at higher frequencies. Forgot the model number for that one.... it was about 15 years ago.

We tried lots of things, some were saluted, some kept sleeping. I expect to see some of the more obscure ones again someday, touted as a new idea.............
  11. jad

jad

I don't know if I would call it LOVE, but I do have one. The model is SVT50DL. I bought it not too long after they were introduced, back in the early to mid 90's. It is small enough to fit in any hatchback, yet it still weighs 125 lbs - how does Ampeg do it:meh:? It's 4 ohms full range or 8 per 'side' when biamped, and 600 watts RMS. I've never had the gear to take advantage of the biamp feature so I've only heard it full range. Not a lot of low mid punch, but lots of easy to hear higher mids. It definitely provides lots of rumble to the point where a high pass filter might be helpful. The sales brochure says "bass frequency response down to 28Hz." Of course it also says that "the 3/4 inch void-free plywood enables durable lightweight transport." PM me if you would like a .pdf of the page from that year's catalog.
  12. mike_v_s

mike_v_s

LDS was selling one of those a few months back. It was an "airhead" with a 4 space rack.

Mike
  13. mikeyswood

mikeyswood

Disclosures:
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    I'll give the Isovent some love! What a great response this thing has!

I just don't give this cab any love when stairs are involved :(
  14. rodl2005

rodl2005

ISOBARIC????? aint that a meterological term? Can someone Please give me a brief description on the way these are set up & work. I can see the 15" in the bottom cab area, but is there another 15" in there? set up???? Intriguing. Thanks again for the info Jerrold.
  15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

I played in the house band at a club that provided one of these for the back line. When the club was closing down, the owner offered me the cab as payment for one last gig. Stupidly, I turned him down because I just didn't have room for the thing. I wish I knew where it was now; I'd love give it another spin now that my tastes are more developed.
  16. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:

I wonder if those 10" drivers are the same model as mine, or spiritual predecessors. Mine are designed to handle midbass and above so they can best be put into small vented or sealed boxes or crossed over above 100 Hz or higher. This allows them to be more sensitive (what people around here usually call efficient).

Actually each one of them is louder than TWO Deltalites or similar, which is the load found in so may bass cabs these days. So TWO of them, above 100 Hz, is louder than a DeltaliteII-equipped 410. Then you put a beastly subwoofer section below, which a highly powered isobaric situation can provide when fed with tons of watts, and you've got a monster!

Ironically, now that you can get neo drivers like the Em Kappalite 3015LF that are very light and make lots of low end and handle more power than a lot of drivers in use for bass cabs previously, the trend is well away from having mass bass directly on stage, because PA can usually handle it. But rigs like the Ampegs shown above are great for unsupported and outdoor-stage situations. Great for ERB too!
  17. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    Yeah, I think that one has even been in a thread here in the past year. And I've seen them in pawnshops, both versions. At the time I wasn't a bass player and wondered what they were about. Would be cool to reload them with neos and biamp them with 1000 watts or more going to the lows!

As is so often the case. Peavey seems to have a track record for that too ; } - in fact they often pull models before they can gain momentum.
  18. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

I don't think that model was ever made with the rack space.
  19. KayCee

KayCee

I used to run two of them side-by-side, powered with a 950 watt power amp. It was loud!!!

It was a steady gig (3-nights a week for 4 years), with the band smashed on the stage so tight that the crash cymbal was a foot from my head.:bawl:

I would put in the ear plugs before even walking into the club, and they didn't come out until I got home!
  20. asad137

asad137 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Physicist
    I have an IsoVent back at my parents house -- it was my first "real" bass cab. Lots of low end from the 15's, not much from the 10's -- definitely designed to run biamped. The piezo tweeter sucks. Heavy -- about 130 lbs IIRC, but not too big so it's not so bad to schlep (has casters too). I'm probably going to sell it.

Asad