1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg Micro CL and Zoom B3 together

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by J03YW, Sep 3, 2013.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Hey, I like the sound of Ampegs (obviously) and I have a TC Electronic BG250 which is alright, but I feel like the Micro CL will sound better. I also like how the Micro CL has an effect loop, so theoretically if I wanted to I could set my Zoom B3 up into the FX in and just bypass the preamp and use my B3 for all that juicy stuff, right? I'm considering selling the BG250 for one of these things. How do the two compare in reliability, sound, and loudness to you all?

2. J03YW

J03YW

Anyone? And how would it fare against a drummer and a guitarist with a 75 watt solid state?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I wouldn't bypass the pre in the Micro CL. I'd run it into the input. I've never liked effects loops. At best, they sound the same as running it into the loop, and at worst, the loop dulls the effectiveness of the effects.

4. J03YW

J03YW

I meant that the instrument would go into the Zoom, from the Zoom to the return on the Ampeg, and then from the Ampeg to the speaker, using the Zoom as the Ampeg's preamp. BTW, I've heard wonderful things about the Micro CL's tone, but do you think it could stand its ground on a stage? Like an auditorium? Most guitarists in my area use Line 6 Spyders ranging from 50-100 watts, and AFAIK they're 112s or 210s, so I think I should be fine but you're never so sure how you'll sound. I just kinda dislike how the TC is rather... I dunno, uncharacteristic? I just like the quintessential Ampeg tone, and I'd rather have a tiny good sounding amp than a larger bland amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I hear you on that. But I don't think there's anything that needs replacing with the Micro CL, although a supplemental effect or 6 is pretty awesome.

But predicting someone else's volume needs is quite tricky. I could likely make it work, but not in every band and not at every gig. I think a Micro VR or PF350 head and an SVT 210av would be more of a sure thing, but it's possible a Micro CL would work if you're not trying to be the loudest band ever.

7. J03YW

J03YW

A big limiter with me is price, I want to keep it under like $400 and that's why the CL caught my attention.

8. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

If you run the Zoom into the amp, bypassing the pre, then are you not also bypassing a good bit of what helps make the Ampeg sound that you like? Then all you are doing is replacing a "250W" (TC's numbers are wonky) power amp with a 100W power amp, while basically bypassing the Ampegness of the CL.

You could always run one of the several Ampeg cab/head models in the B3 into a neutrally set up BG250. You'll have more than enough volume. Yes, I know they are models, but they will likely sound more like an Ampeg than a bypassed pre.

FWIW, the effects loop on my PF500 was worthless with my B3 as the levels were all whacked.

Also FWIW, the Zoom B3 into a BG250 is the exact rig that I am using these days.

9. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Bingo. I would try the Zoom with the Ampeg models into the BG250 before you spend money on something else (especially if you want to bypass the preamp in the Ampeg anyway).

10. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Do whatever floats your boat...

but to echo Grateful and tbirdsp on checking out what you have (if you haven't), I've found the B3 amp sims to be a pretty remarkable enhancement to the BG250 through the preamp. It's not what I bought the B3 for, and prior to finding out how well it does very much by happenstance, I had a gut skepticism of running an amp sim through a preamp. The SVT, Markbass, and SWR sim do particularly nice things. Make sure to turn the cabinet sim to 0 (the knob on the head face labeled "Mix")

[​IMG]

11. J03YW

J03YW

I just wanted to know if it could be done. I am running to Sam ash today to try the CL. I'll post later.

12. J03YW

J03YW

I've done that, but I'd like a nicer overall amp.

13. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

'Nicer', obviously, being a relative term...

IMHO you'll need to look bigger than the CL...Like at least the VR line. You will be giving up an enormous amount of volume downsizing to the CL from the BG250...

Good luck, anyway!

14. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Like I said, whatever does it for you, does it for you. Hopefully, your visit to Sam Ash will be/was fruitful.

If you've run your B3 into the BG250, and still find it "uncharacteristic" and "bland," that's your hearing and your judgement. It makes nothing but good sense for you to dump the BG250. That being the case for you, I'll be interested to know what does speak to you at <$400.

"Ampeg tone" is a phrase that gets tossed around an awful lot. I have to wonder how much meaning it ends up having. It doesn't seem to always mean "reminiscent of a marquee Ampeg model." If quintessential Ampeg tone happens to mean the sound that comes from any amp that says "Ampeg" on it, that's going to be quite broad at this point in time, but very easy to achieve.

15. J03YW

J03YW

Okay. Big news. Turns out a speaker (Macpherson M2X V2) that has been sitting in my garage is valued at over $600. Once that ebay auction completes, I'm gonna order a Micro VR and the corresponding 210, and use it in stereo with the 250. And drpepper, I thought these two amps were meant to model the classic SVT tone? I dunno, nor do I care, cause right now I just found a goldmine and I'm literally shaking. I'm so insanely happy.