Ampeg Micro CL - MM Pickup Too Hot?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bass2020, Jan 12, 2014.

1. bass2020

bass2020

Yesterday I brought home an Ampeg Micro CL new but was a floor model from the local shop. I played through it last week using my Ibanez SRX 400 and loved what I heard, however I didn't turn up the volume much. After getting home, I turned it up and immediately started trying to figure out what was causing some serious overdrive. Now, I have read that this isn't a clean amp but WOW this thing has some fuzz! I was using the -15 input as well. I tried different cables, new battery in the bass, no luck. I plugged in my buddies Ibanez GSR100 and it sounds lovely. How is that? The SRX400 sounds fine through my old Fender Rumble 60 but overdrives like crazy through the Micro. The only thing I can think of is that the MM style pickup is too hot for the Ampeg. Any thoughts or recommendation short of returning it and ordering the Micro VR?

P.S. I searched and found this thread, he also noticed distortion using an active Ibanez as well as others. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ampeg-micro-cl-question-934872/
  2. lava4485

lava4485

New to Ampeg buddy??

CL does tend to be that way. Its not meant for being clean. VR has separate gain settings. It's cleaner.

Try Tech21 VT Bass Deluxe (I am gonna buy one soon) (Use the Fxloop-send)

For now... lower the Bass's volume, That's the easiest way out!
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Almost all Ampegs with single volume knobs start distorting in earnest at the 11:00-12:00 point on the dial. That doesn't mean they're broken or anything, but it does mean that it's giving all the clean volume it has to give. But you can use the active input or pad button and make basses that distort at any volume quieter and cleaner. Since the MM is active (I assume it is, anyway), you can also turn it down without negatively affecting sound.
  4. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Make sure you swapped your battery out for a new one to make sure that you just don't have enough juice left. Distortion comes from active basses that have too much gain, the pickups too close to the strings, or a dying battery.
  5. bass2020

bass2020

Lol, i've had a few Ampegs in the past but its been about 8 years or so. Now, on to the next issue. When I turn on the amp it produces a dull pop that does make the speakers move. It does this every time with and without the bass plugged in. That doesn't seem normal and is concerning.
  6. bass2020

bass2020

Yea, i tried a new battery.
  7. dukeisdog

You'd be surprised at what lowering your pickup can do for you if you haven't tried this yet.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dull pop is fine. Happens in a lot of amps.
  9. bass2020

bass2020

I'll try this right now
  10. bass2020

bass2020

11. bass2020

bass2020

12. dukeisdog

13. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Ya, that's the speaker amplifying the inrush of current into the amp. Some amps are better about muting it than others, and it's not always related to price but sometimes it is, but it absolutely won't harm amp or cab.
  15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

My Micro VR doesn't make any pops at all.
  16. bass2020

bass2020

My good friend came over last night to check out the Micro Cl and within the first minute of playing he stop and asked "why are the speakers peaking at such a low volume?" So, today I returned it and bought the PF350 and 1x15 cab!