1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg Micro-CL question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by roset, Nov 22, 2012.

1. roset

roset

Just bought myself an Micro-CL stack from Ampeg, never tested one before but tought it was an interesting little stack. BUT, this is by no means a clean sounding stack, sounds like my EBS tube amp slightly overdriven.

Is it supposed to sound like this or is it a faulty head they sent me?

Tested it with my 73 jazz bass, my custom bass with Nordstrands and my active Ibanez, still OD at any given volume. Tried it with different cables fro Fender CS, different speaker cables and two different EBS Classic 112 cabs, but no difference in the sound, still slightly overdriven at any given volume.
  2. roset

roset

Any Ampeg Micro users out there who knows?
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

What kind of setting are you using? Gain, eq, master, limiter?
  4. roset

roset

No gain knob on the CL, only on the VR. Bass,middle and treble tested on all settings. Volume havent gone past 3, just in case. No fx used, only bass-cable-amp
  5. CL400Peavey

Are you using the -15db input?
  6. roset

roset

Tried both inputs with the two passive basses
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    While not THE cleanest amp I ever heard, you should have some clean range in it. Been a little while since I played one, but I do remember the distortion starting around the 11:00 mark with a stock Precision. That's typical with non-master Ampegs, as distortion when you crank is considered a feature on Ampegs.
  8. roset

roset

It's a slight OD that starts around 0,5 in volume, doesn't seem to thicken when the volume is pushed. I don't mind the sound though, think it sounds really great. BUT, if the head is broken it's not that great... Tried one in a store now, it was a lot cleaner,but sounded weaker and not as "fat" and gritty
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    In that case, that's a really tough one to call. Maybe go back to the store you tried it at and try it again and compare and contrast, then make your decision to keep or swap out accordingly.
  10. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Have you tried the speakers with a different head? Could be a speaker issue.
  11. roset

roset

Really like the sound in my head. Tried the cab with a blackheart BH15h, sounded ok.
  12. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

:)

hopefully it's more or less the same sound that's coming in through your ears.
  13. roset

roset

Hehe, more or less...Depends if you ask me or my drummer :smug:
  14. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

I really have to push mine beyond the limits I intended for it's use for it to OD. But, I bought it for use parked behind my recliner and the volume has never been past 11 o'clock. That's pretty darn loud if the bass's volume is dimed.

Now I don't know if I want to push it hard to see what will happen (fun) or remember that I bought it for quiet, relaxing, play while watching TV use only (not as fun).

Decisions.
  15. roset

roset

I like the gritty tone, but if it`s broken and will turn into a fuzzbox within the next months I´m not so sure....
  16. roset

roset

A little soundclip

Attached Files:

17. roset

roset

Any more inputs? No reply from Loud/Ampeg customer service
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I listened, and I'm just not sure what to make of it.
  19. CL400Peavey

+1

Try a different cab?
  20. roset

roset

As said beford, different cabs, same sound