Ampeg micro head 200W....recommended?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Mar 13, 2014.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I have a small bedroom that I share with my brother so space is an issue. If it weren't I would've gotten a bigger cab and head but alas that is not my situation.

How is the microhead? I tried it out and it does sound decent when I used a squier jazz bass.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Micro VR? Yeah, it's a killer little head. I have one and I use it a lot.

3. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

What kind of environment do you play in? Bar? Big stage? Theater? 200W seems like a lot despite the small head and cab.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I've used it in environments ranging from little rec halls and restuarants to arenas, theaters and large outdoor gigs. 200w is pretty small as far as solid state wattage in a world of 1000w+ amps, but it certainly can get pretty loud. Ampeg also has a head called the PF350 that has 350w, has the same knobs and sound as the Micro VR, is a little smaller, and costs the same. Doesn't look quite as awesome as an SVT-looking micro amp, but it still looks very cool. You can use it with that little 210 cab that you use with the Micro VR, too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

I quit using the Micro VR in a bedroom setting due to the fan noise. If you use headphones, that's no issue. The aux input is great for rehearsing songs.

I have gigged with the full stack Micro VR rig in a moderate-sized venue with a low ceiling and didn't need to use the DI. FWIW, YMMV, etc.

7. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Fan noise? What?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    There's a little fan noise, but it's not so bad to my ears as a longtime SVT user. The PF350's fan is a good bit quieter, though.

9. andrklet

andrklet Guest

+1 on the PF350+SVT210AV. Sounds great, easier to transport than most combos near its size and power, and sounds better than all combos I´ve tried (not to much to go on there). Only had it for a couple of weeks. Set it up in my living room for my first test run and my wife still haven´t asked me to move it, so it must look good to ;)

10. johnpbass

johnpbass

Another +1 on the PF350 and 210AV. That combination makes for a great sounding, easily transportable rig that punches harder than you would think for its size. I've even run the 350 through 2-15s on occasion and that combination, to my ears anyway, is pretty darn loud for 350 watts!

11. swsmusic

swsmusic

Has anyone tried the GK200 with the 210AV?

I bought a 210AV from a friend and need a head to power it. I like the footprint of the GK200, but wonder if the micro svt would be a better head in the long run...especially if another 210av was added.

12. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog Supporting Member

I have a Micro SVT & the matching 210. I only use it in the house and though it does a respectable job of sounding like a "real" SVT/810 and being surprisingly loud for 150 watts into 2 10's, the fan noise has on more than one occasion had me ready to throw it through the front window of my living room.

It may be the most awesome thing ever in a live situation.

But using it only in my house, no, it is not the most awesome thing ever.

No idea about the GK200, sorry. :smug:

13. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Fan on the pf350 doesnt bother me at all, even at the lowest volumes. And it has the extra headroom for the same price...

14. Barfly

Barfly

Used mine thru a Rumble 410 last weekend, Van Halen trib.

Sounded great to me and others.

Great amp as far as I'm concerned.

15. FooHead

FooHead

My Mesa Walkabout had a super loud fan, so I just changed it out for a new quieter one. Was a very easy mod to do. Why not do that with the Micro SVT head?

16. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I have a Micro VR head that I bought on craigslist a year ago for $100. Its a cool head that I mainly use nearly every night for personal practice when the kids and wife go to sleep. I have taken it to gigs, but I prefer using my Mesas for that.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I just used my Micro VR/210av for a gig tonight. Wanted to see if I still felt the same way about it after getting the PF800. Yep, I still do. The PF800 hits real hard and stays cleaner louder, of course, but the Micro VR still has a lot of balls and sounds like Ampeg to me. And I didn't once notice the fan ;)

18. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

For $299 new, the PF-350 is hard to beat for the price. And if you move to a bigger cab later on, it has plenty of headroom for gigging unless tou are in a Metal band.

I agree that the Micro VR does look cooler but the extra wattage of the PF is a good thing, too.

[​IMG]

19. Aaron Houts

Aaron Houts

Question on using the Portaflex 350 with one SVT 210 AV cabinet:

I thought the cabinet was only rated for 200W, but the PF350 puts out 250 at 8 ohms. Is this not bad for the cabinet?

I have been considering getting two cabinets and one of the heads mentioned on this thread (GK MB200, Ampeg Micro VT and Ampeg Portaflex 350.)

I'd like a head that will safely power one cabinet by itself or both. I'd rather go with the PF350 for the extra wattage, but was worried it was pushing too much power and may damage a single cabinet used alone.

Thanks in advance!

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    It's only bad for the cabinet if you exceed the amount of volume the cab can safely take. I've used the PF350 and now the PF800 many times with those 210av cabs and never once had a problem. This is a situation where your ears and common sense must rule. Here's a good hint I like to pass along...if your cab sounds like it's going to explode, it will.

21. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Just be sensible with the volume, and you´ll be fine. For home practice, my kitchen cabinets starts rattling long before the speakers start to fart out :)

But no, you cannot crank it to 11.