1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg Micro VR or Walkabout for Ampeg 210AV?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by slapstick13, Dec 16, 2013.

1. slapstick13

slapstick13 Supporting Member

I already have a walkabout head right now. I'm going to get 2 of the Ampeg 210av cabs(I need a portable rig as an alternative to my 2 Ampeg 115E cabs). Do I really 'need' to get the Micro VR head? I know 'need' is subjective but I'm curious as to what really makes the micro VR/210av combo so magical, is the head pulling more weight in regards to the 'compact svt sound'? Or is it more the 210av cabs?

So what I'm really getting at is can I come 'close' or even better to the svt sound with the Walkabout while benefitting from an extra 100 watts(as compared to the micro VR head)? Or do I need to micro VR head to really make the cabs shine.

2. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

The 210av has kind of a baked in flavor. It sounds fine with the walkabout but you won't hear as much as the walkabout could offer with a more full range cab. Not good or bad, just is. Between the two the walkabout would be my preference but it won't balance well on top of the 210's without removing the top handle or making a shelf or something.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    "Need"? Maybe not. But I do really dig the Micro VR. Very light, looks way cool, not the highest power amp on the market, but sounds great and is easy to get a great sound. Ditto for the PF350, which is the same preamp + 150 more watts, which I find makes a difference when you're running relatively high volumes. When I use two 210av's, I find myself going for the PF350 instead of the Micro VR for that reason alone. Well, that and it fits in a laptop bag.

4. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Yeah. my WIFE moved my Micro VR rig.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    LOL! That's one nice thing about it...a rig light enough that your wife won't mind when you ask her for help loading up the van.

8. Grissle

Grissle

I love most Ampeg stuff, but man a walkabout is my favorite Mesa. I would take a V4B over the Walkabout though.

9. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn