Ampeg Micro VR vs Zoom B3

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by J03YW, Mar 9, 2014.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Hi, I have a Zoom B3 and a BG250 right now which is pretty cool because the BG250 is a clean, flat amp (even if a bit boomy and muffled at times) and the B3 can get every sound under the sun. However, I have recently found that I always end up using the Ampeg SVT/Flip Top models on my B3 and that I really like the sound of the Micro VR in the music store I always go to. Is it worth the extra cash to flip some gear to jump up to the VR, or would you guys say to just keep the B3? I think the Micro VR would be very cool but I don't know how much I'll miss the uncolored tone of the BG250. Also, even though I'm pretty sure the B3 would sound fine through the VR, I'm not sure how much the VR or its cab would color the tone coming out of the B3 (I don't want to sound like I'm using a Hartke through an SVT somehow). Thoughts? Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've always felt like TC amps are trying to sound like Ampegs through digital means, and the Zoom is nice for the money but it's definitely digital too, and I've yet to play an inexpensive digital amp or multi-fx that has impressed me enough to use it over analog amps and pedals. So I do think the Micro VR would be a step up. Is it enough of a step up to justify you offing the BG250 to get it? Only you can answer that, but if it were me, I'd do it because I just don't care for digital. I would substitute out the head for a PF350, though. Doesn't look quite as awesome as the Micro VR, but it has the same preamp, sound, and price tag with more wattage, and it still looks very cool.