1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg micro vr

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Awelton85, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Awelton85

Awelton85

I just re-registered here so I don't know if it has already been talked to death, but I'd like to put in my $.02 on the ampeg micro vr head. My old faithful peavey just died and I bought the ampeg at guitar center for about $300 for a quick fill in until I could buy a full size amp. Long story very short, I am now running the micro vr as my full time rig through an ampeg 8x10 cab. It sounds good, has an xlr out to run to the pa for bigger gigs and it only costs $300. It was almost a joke when I got it, now I'm telling everyone I know about it. Go try one!

2. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

IMO they sound surprisingly good. I wonder if the bass player from mini kiss uses them.

3. basslinejam

basslinejam

I can't help chuckling at the image of the micro vr on top of an 810! :D

It seems to be getting a lot of love on the board and I haven't heard any horror stories...yet. Enjoy!

4. waleross

waleross

My first Ampeg purchase was (2) 210 micro cabs and the micro cab. The head was nice but kind of noisey. I kept the cabs and traded away the micro head. The best thing about it is its size about the same as a large radio.....:cool:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned

There's a few threads on the Ampeg Micro VR
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4455221

The TB consensus seems to be that it's a good, SVT-sounding amp (with occasional minor QC issues) suitable for moderate volume use.

However, one recent thread holds that G-K's tiny MB200 offers the Micro VR some real competition: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=684722&highlight=mb200

The MB200 hasn't been on the market long enough to establish a track record for reliability though.

7. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Seriously, I was so impressed with the Micro VR and 2x10 setup I almost bought it on the spot at GC over the weekend. I played my G&L through it as well as a Stringray 5HH, some Schecter, and a Ray35. Amazing little amp with tons of volume, clarity and depth. I was blown away. Hooked it up to the 8x10 right behind it and was floored. It's on my to-buy list, right below a Stingray 5HH.