1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg Micro VR

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by klejst, Jan 18, 2013.

1. klejst

klejst

Currently I am in the market for a new amp and like most I am on a bit of a budget. I have been looking on anything from Guitar Center's used site, to Craigslist and yes even Ebay. I came across a Ampeg Micro VR, great condition working and cosmetically. From what I can tell it is 200w at 4 ohms and does have a good set of features. However my Mesa Powerhouse 2x15 EV cab is 8 ohms so I understand it will run at 150w at 8 ohms, still should be pretty loud though with my 2x15.

I of course am not going to be playing stadiums or arenas with this rig, however medium size gigs and most times I have DI or Mic'ed PA support anyways. I also appreciate it's smaller form factor. My question is would be a good match with my Mesa 2x15 and can you get a variety of tones and such the amp and does it handle effects well? I have read generally positive reviews about this amp, however there have been some saying the amp does have problems. I know everyone's experience is different, however any insight would be awesome. It would be my first Ampeg piece of gear ever...I know I know hard to believe ;)

2. zachoff

zachoff

I have a Micro VR and use it as a backup to my SVT. I'd say you'll have a hard time with a loud band running it at 8 Ohms. The reason is because engaging the limiter makes it quieter when it gets to its volume max and disengaging the limiter and overdoing the volume will make it flutter and sound weird

I play in a pretty damn loud band and was using it w/ 210 & 115 cabs and at 4 Ohms it would flutter w/ gain and vol at 12:00... So I said screw it and schlepped my SVT and 810 to the practice space.

If you're in a relatively quiet band, I'd say you're alright. I'm up against two 50W tube heads and 2 4x12s.

3. klejst

klejst

Thanks for the input. I was a bit worried about how it could compete because although I don't play in a blistering metal band, I play in a loud enough rock and punk band. I have also been considering a HARTKE HA3500 I found for sale too. It is less in price and gets it's fair share of good praise too.

4. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Between those two, the Hartke will do much better for you in your current situation.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

First, from what I understand the power rating on these amps is pretty conservative. They actually produce more clean power than advertised.

IME, you can get a lot of mileage out of these amps with an efficient cabinet. I've used mine on gigs with a 4-ohm Berg AE410 and was surprised at how loud it can be. I'm currently in a country band that is pretty low with its stage volume. I'd feel comfortable using this on most of our gigs where I had PA support. However, I bought it when I was in a relatively loud modern rock band. I used it on a few gigs with that band where I had to keep my stage volume down, but for the most part, I would have gotten buried on most of our gigs. And my guitarist had excellent tone - never a mid-scooper, so it wasn't like I was trying to be heard under some ultra-bassy guitar sound.

Bottom-line, personally, I think it's a great amp, but I wouldn't buy one with the intention of keeping it as my main head. It's a great amp for gigs where you don't need a lot of stage volume and you want something easy to shelp. Seriously, this is the easiest head I've ever had to carry. My case full of cables and misc. gig items is harder to carry than this amp.

7. klejst

klejst

Thanks for your input. The VR ended up selling so I missed it. Now I am going back and forth between a Acoustic B200h or the Hartke 3500, 2500, or 2000.