Ampeg or carvin? Would you rather?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bampilot06, Jan 11, 2013.

1. bampilot06

bampilot06

Just like your input on what amp i should stick with. Back round info was in a band through high school and college and during that time i had a ampeg 200t with a 15 cab. I played a fretless stingray and loved my setup. Well band broke up and my job took off literally so i sold everything. Realized there was something missing recently so my fiance bought my a new bass and rents got me the micro cl. As posted in another thread ive gone through two micro cls both didnt work, and i started looking at carvin. Ive never heard anything about carvin and after doing some research on the site it seems people either love or hate them.
    My needs are a portable amp that can handle small gigs (bar) and sounds relatively descent. Unfortunatly im not playin on a stingray this time around. Fiance got me a jag. I had originally picked the ampeg cl because i liked the sound with a squire p and jazz (pretty much what i have) and i am a sucker for ampeg.
    Thanks

2. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Let me preface this with I don't like either.

Of these two I would go with the Ampeg. Long term reliability.

If you are a "sucker for Ampeg" why ask. You know what you like. The only thing asking these yahoos can do is confuse the selection.

I think Micro CL is an Ampeg in name only. It's kind of like the SWR Pro and the Workingmans line.

3. odineye

odineye Gold Supporting Member

+1 because you KNOW that what he should really be playing is a Genze Benz/SWR/Hartke/Fender/Eden combo amp stack...

Through a fEARful cabinet.

:bag:

4. odineye

odineye Gold Supporting Member

If I were to chose between the two, I would go with Ampeg. Not a Carvin hater... But I never found they did anything for me either.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zachoff

zachoff

Between Ampeg and Carvin I'll take Ampeg just about every time.

That said, if you're looking for something that can do an approximation of an Ampeg tone in a lightweight package, the Genz Benz Shuttle is a nice amp for sure. A little expensive new, but not bad on the used market.

7. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I would get the Ampeg. I have had Carvin monitors and a Carvin bass and wasn't happy with them. I use Ampeg heads and cabs and they sound great.

8. smogg

smogg

Hey! Who are you calling a yahoo? :rolleyes: :smug:

LMAO, now that's funny. I was wondering how long it would take for some one to sneak in the word "fearful" :D

9. bampilot06

bampilot06

Thanks for the responses. My svt was reliable never had issues with it. Thats why im sucker for ampeg. With that said going through two micro cls both out of the box not working kinda hits on that some. I do have a feeling your right about ampeg cl being ampeg name only. I will check out the genz benz

10. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

I'll go against the grain and say that I prefer Carvin over Ampeg anyday.

11. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Carvin is more HIFI sounding and transparent and Ampeg is more of the "vintage" Lofi thing with more color.

12. RS66LB

RS66LB

a few years back I tried a few of the larger Ampeg heads, to me they seemed a bit on the noisy side, sure they're awesome looking but taking into account the price point, noise and weight I eventually went with a Carvin BX-1200, essentially it has far more tonal options, it's quieter plus it's been very reliable in spite of being configured into bridge mode while driving a 4 ohm load regularly, of course thats only one mans experience, I'm sure there are those with different yet just as legit views.

13. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Carvin is a better bang for the buck IMO.

14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I'm way too cheap to buy Ampeg, and way too old to lug one around.

Carvin stuff is decent quality, and it won't break the bank.

If you need something other than stage monitor from your rig, YMMV.

15. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Gj, it is a lot of amp for less money. They just are not as realiable.

If you the type that likes to trade later, you REALLY don't want Carvin. All things the same you get less for the Carvin. This is true for tradeing thier basses also and i happen to like thier basses.

Let me restate, I don't have either so I really don't have a dog in the hunt.

16. arai

arai

Ampeg sure do seem to have reliability issues. What about the carvin with a tech 21 VT bass pedal? Those pedals can get a pretty close to ampeg tone

17. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

If I had to choose, Carvin... but I'm probably never going to give either of them my money.

18. bampilot06

bampilot06

Reliability is big for me. I dont plan on trading but adding on later is important and i am down for doing home improvments

19. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I'll take a Carvin bass over any other bass on the market. But Ampeg vs. Carvin amps? I vote Ampeg.

I have an old Carvin Pro-Bass 500, which I purchased in 1991. I've never loved it. It seems to lack punch, or any real character. The new amps may be better.

I recently played a gig with a backlined Ampeg rig, and was blown away by the warm furriness of it all.

I personally don't use either brand currently, but I'd definitely choose the Ampeg.

20. bampilot06

bampilot06

I do have the hartke bass attack pedal too. Forgot to mention that.

21. Greevus

Greevus

Ampeg hands down. Had a bunch of Carvin stuff. Love the PA stuff, amps aren't bad.
    Ampeg just seems to kick it a little harder.