Ampeg paired with gk?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mainahman, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Mainahman

Mainahman

Hey all. I currently have a SWR working pro 400. I also have a GK MBE 2x10 and a GK MBE 115. I like my sound, but want more warmth. ( my opinion of course) but the best sound I ever got from my guitar was an Ampeg 8x10. And a SVT 4 pro. My cabs are like 500 watts. I direct in mostly but I'm looking for a warmer head, and my mind goes to Ampeg. I'm looking at the SVT 3 pro and the SVT 7 pro. I just don't want to damage my cabs. Thoughts on what sound I can expect, and which one I should go for?
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The 3 Pro would be a safer bet for your cabs or save some real cash with the PF-350.
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    The 3 Pro will give you more of a tube sound due to it having 3 pre-amp and 2 driver tubes but it puts out less power than the 7 Pro. I used a 7 Pro at a rehearsal space for several years and it always sounded good. I use a 6 Pro as my main amp and love the sound. The GK spec sheet lists the MBE 210 and the MBE 115 at 400 watts. Ampeg's 210 and 115 cabs are rated at half that. You should not have a problem mixing your GK cabs with an Ampeg head but the 3 Pro would be better a choice.
  4. Mainahman

Mainahman

Thanks all! I've been leaning towards picking up a used SVT-3 pro, but wondered about the lighter 7 pro. I am young so the weight isn't an issue. I'm actually thinking I will run both the swr and the new Ampeg once I score one and use a AB switch for different sounds. I want a warmer tone for my fender, and I like the cleaner SWR tone for certain material we do, that is unless I can sell the SWR to put tweeds the SVT.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mainahman

Mainahman

Anyone have any idea how close to that illusive tone i will get? I know a 2x10 and a 15 is not a 8x10, but at 30 pounds a piece i love those cabs. Can I realistically expect to get pretty close?
  7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

trade in the 210 for another 115 and get a SVT 7 PRO.
  8. Mainahman

Mainahman

I rather like the sound the 2x10 and 15 give. Right now it's a toss up between the SVT 3 pro, or go all in for a V4-B reissue all tube....anyone play with one of those? What would I be better served by?
  9. TC.65

TC.65

The V4B Reissue is where it's at in my opinion. once I saw the vids and heard it through some good speakers it's all I can think about. I will have it soon and will eventually run it through a pair of the new SVT 212 AV cabs.
  10. Mainahman

Mainahman

The more i research, and watch videos. the v4b seems to be really getting my G.A.S going. Im pretty sure 100 tube watts will be enough for stage sound, and ill DI or Mic into the fronts.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The V4B is all that and a bag of chips, as the kids say. Love my SVT's but the V4B is my workhorse amp.
  12. Mainahman

Mainahman

I know it would blow my SWR out of the water, and im sure even the SVT 4pro out of the water. Its on my radar, now to see about raising the fundage to swing a new one!
  13. Mainahman

Mainahman

I noticed the peavey vb-2 today. Anyone know anything about them? A lot cheaper how would it compare through a 2x10 and 15?