Ampeg PF 350/500 Part VII

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Chef, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

I'll probably jinx it one of these times, but I'm still rocking my PF rig that I got at launch!

EDIT: First time I've ever had first post! It's the small pleasures in life, right? ;)

5sg.

[​IMG]

Signs likes this.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

I'll stay with this thread.

4. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Nice. First time I got 3rd? Either way- nice rig. Also, the GAS must not be strong with you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dogmeat08

dogmeat08 Supporting Member

I as well :bassist:

7. fivestringgecko

Thanks!

No, luckily my GAS is fairly subsided at the moment. There's a couple pedals I'd like to check out for kicks, but I'm super happy with my boards and amp rigs the way they are and I've got a bass on order. So I'm good....... for now. lol

5sg.

8. dkelley

dkelley

Ampeg brand is on these but theyre made by another company. Ampeg non micro heads are i think something truly ampeg in quality still.

But i love my pf350....

9. ITucker_034I

ITucker_034I

Hey guys. Was looking to get one of these later in the year. Is the pf500 worth the extra money? And whats the quality of the 15 cabs like? (Latches etc)

10. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Latches are good. My lid is warped so it leaks when the head is up. I put another latch on the middle back and covered the entire top surface of the "hatch" with good closed cell neoprene weatherstrip. It's all good now. You wouldn't need to if your lid is flat. Wood can warp so I don't blame Ampeg. I Love the cab and I also have a Pf-115lf that is great and they sound great paired together even though many advise against a sealed and a ported being mixed.

Certainly their sex appeal isn't an issue. Dead sexy.

11. fivestringgecko

Disclaimer: It's not my only rig. But after gigging my Portaflex stack for a little over two years now (I think?)...

Whether the 500 is worth it is something that you'd probably need to decide. To me, the extra features and power for only $100 were. One PF115 with the PF500 packs a pretty good punch, and the full stack is sometimes overkill for me. Just last weekend, I only used one cab for a quick gig with my 14-piece urban gospel band in a full 150-200 seat church. We have 10 vocalists, two keyboard players, a loud@$$ drummer and backing track sequencer. I'm not sure the PF350 would've been able to quite pull that off, and the 500 didn't even break a sweat.

As for the quality of the cabs: Mine have been to quite a few venues... bars, theaters, indoor/outdoor stages and the like, and while they've got a couple scuffs and dings, they've held up quite well. Pretty "tank-ish" and the tolex seems pretty tough. Early on, I did leave one in my car on a hot day and the glue under the lid with the amp came loose, but a little glue fixed that problem. The latches are pretty solid, but after two years of gigging, the lid slips just a little bit when schlepping the cabs by the top handle. Tough to accurately describe in just words, but it doesn't impact the playability of the stack when the rig is set up.

Overall, my PF500/PF115x2 rig has been a solid contender and it gets a lot of compliments, both in looks and sound.

Hope that helps.

5sg.

12. ITucker_034I

ITucker_034I

Helps a lot! Was worried the latches would be poor. The 350 is probably enough for me. Now to get saving :D

13. fivestringgecko

Nope, definitely not poor latches. I've caught my fingers in those barstards a couple of times and they're no joke. lol

As for the lid thing, a little clarification: I think the lid has just that tiny bit of slippage because when you lift by the lid, the latches eventually bite into the tolex just that little bit which allows just enough space for the lid to move slightly when lifting by the top handle. i.e... the weight of the cab pulls down just enough to allow the lid to move during transportation.

Don't know if that helps or just confuses things. lol

5sg.

14. mazdah

mazdah

After I changed the strings to TI Flats my 350 sounds so good that I'm considering selling my svp-pro preamp. Seriously!

15. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

I just picked up a pf500 and I love it so far but I have only played through my headphones. I can't wait to play it through my 410!!

16. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    I've got a pair from then still going strong - been through a few handles tho. I have not babied these.

17. Scott549

Scott549

Observation about the PF-500 -- I have mine set up in the basement with an Ampeg 115he and an Avatar SB-112. My son has been doing some recording with it, and when I am upstairs, it really sounds great -- I keep asking myself, is he really getting that sound with my amp? He's playing a Squier Precision bass, no ultra high or ultra low, pretty much flat EQ. It really has a nice basic rock and roll sound signature.

18. johnpbass

johnpbass

All good with my PF350, especially now that I have a 210AV to go with. Looking to pick up another 210AV in the near future.

Signs likes this.
  19. petergales

petergales

I use my PF350 with an Aguilar GS112. I use it for a jazz gig with my Overwater Jazz bass strung with Chromes. Sounds wonderful!

20. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    It's been well documented the early problems with the PF500's...but I hear that those problems have been taken care of and the newer production units are just fine. Does anyone know what the timeframe was on this? In other words, recently did Ampeg start shipping the "updated" units without the problems?

21. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

I would (always) defer to JimmyM, but I think he has said anything made within the last year seems to be good - or low/no issues like earlier runs.