1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg PF-350 for GK Backline 600

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jaxstarke, Apr 10, 2014.

1. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

Quick! Thinking about straight-up trading my Ampeg PF-350 for a GK Backline 600 this evening. Fair deal or no? I'm giving up 50 watts of power but the GK has more tonal control. Thoughts?

2. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

It's your call, to be honest. I've tried both and liked the GK better. If you like it, go for it.

3. hover

hover

Personally, I'd say God no.

Backline GK is bottom rung stuff and (to me) don't sound particularly great.
    (edit: because I'm not particularly fond of the GK sound, regardless of "knowing amps well"...what does that mean...know how to eq?)

I owned a Backline combo once, and either thru the internal speaker or driving a decent cab it still sounded weak.

Currently favor the PF-350, and I gig it often. Pretty great sound for 5 pounds.

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

That is a hard one to call. THe BL600 is highly regarded by most that have played it and know amps well. The BL cabs not so much. You won't notice any difference in power as G-K understates their wattage and Ampeg is usually on the cuff.
    You stand a better chance of getting the G-K to sound like the Ampeg than the other way around but if you like the sound of the Ampeg why switch?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

Well, I got it. Seems to be alright. Boost pot is scratchy ass all heck but I'm not much of a knob twiddler anyway and a friend of mine says he can replace it if it's not fixable. I don't have my cab here at home to really try it out, only my pc interface with headphones so that's why I was asking for some quick advice.

7. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

The pot probably just needs to be cleaned (deoxit or electrical contact cleaner works).

Enjoy that amp.

8. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

That WAS fast!
    There are two basic conventions for basic setup;
    The manual says set the master at 3:00 and use the (input) Volume for loudness needs (cleanest with boost needed to keep from being "sterile" sounding).
    Second "way". Start with the master low Like 9:00 and adjust the volume below unwanted clipping distortion and use the master to control loudness from there.
    The Boost and Master are interactive, if you turn up the boost for richer harmonics you need to back down the master some to keep from blasting the room.

9. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

Thanks for the settings advice B-string. Always helpful to have a starting point.