Ampeg PF-350 Portaflex with Acoustic B410 Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cornbrains, Feb 10, 2013.

1. cornbrains

cornbrains

Hey you guuuuyyysss,

I am a newbie looking to start to assemble some gear. I am not much of a gear head as I have mainly played acoustic guitar. I have a bass and am looking to purchase a half stack. I am looking at the Ampeg PF-350 to sit atop an Acoustic B410 Cabinet. I really don't understand this whole resistance/impedance thing. I will be in small spaces, hence the 10" speakers. When I jam with my friends, its just a drummer and guitarist and the noise isn't over the top loud by any means. I will eventually add a 15" cabinet.

I was looking at Ampeg 410 cabinets but they get pricey. I see the Acoustic B410 and thought it was a much better deal. My question is if the two products that I have linked below will work well together. Thanks for your input.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-pf-350-portaflex-350w-bass-amp-head

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/acoustic-b410-400w-4x10-bass-cabinet

2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Why would you want to add a 1X15 later ?

3. b-b-b-bass

b-b-b-bass

Pair up the PF-350 with a quality lightweight speaker like the GK112 NEO...
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/gallien-krueger-neo-112-ii-1x12-300w-bass-cabinet

Then, IMHO, you will have a rig that will satisfy and delight you for years to come. It will be LOUD too! You can always add a second cab later on, if you absolutely have to be louder.

I play loud rock in a bar band, an in my situations my PF-350 into a home built 1x12 cab has never been lacking anything. And it is so freakin' easy to transport and store.:smug:

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can do much better for a cab than Acoustic IMHO. I'm sure money's tight so that's why you're considering it, but skimp on anything else but don't skimp on the cab.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cornbrains

cornbrains

i guess that is where i am feeling my ignorance. b-b-b-bass is saying that the PF-350 and 112 are loud enough for for a bar band. yet all over the internet people are detailing different setups sounding more glamorous yet still not loud enough for a jam with drummer.to "bass pounder" asking about why i might add a 115 later, my under standing is that 10" speakers don't drive the real low end the way a 15" will so combining the two into a full stack completes the full range. also, i will eventually get a digital drum set for my house and i was planning on using the 15 for the drums while i play bass on the 410.

by the way, thanks for the responses. i appreciate the input.

7. cornbrains

cornbrains

what cab would you recommend?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good question. If you're looking at 410's, the SVT 410he.

9. Zoa

Zoa

As someone who plays through Acoustic cabs. . .If you can afford better, by all means do so. Your cab is more important than your head in my opinion. I'd much rather have a Acoustic head over a Ampeg cab than the other way around. Also, a 410 and a 115 are an awful pairing. You'd do much better finding a cab you like, and then buying two of them. An SVT 410 is a solid cab if you want a 410. I prefer the HE, I've had reggae bands at a festival I work at reject the 410hlf on backline for being too muddy, if that tells you anything.

10. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

That is what I thought, and why I asked.

Your thinking is wrong...............

Speaker size has nothing to do with the frequency range it handles.

Most 4X10's go lower and louder then 1X15's, while being able to handle alot more power. Mixing speaker sizes without the proper use of a crossover also leads to other problems, so it is just not a good idea.

11. rockinb

rockinb

Hey cornbrains,

Good question and post.

Simple answer to your question: the Ampeg PF-350 and acoustic 410 should be loud enough for your jam sessions, small gigs, and anything larger you would be mic'd or direct to the PA.

I've got an Ampeg PF-500 (slightly larger version of PF-350) that I run through an Acoustic 410 or Ampeg PF210he. Both cabs sound fine (each cab is slightly different, tone is subjective as to which you may like better).

Are $$$ your primary reasons for picking the Ampeg PF350 and acoustic 410 cab? (Was not sure if you had maybe heard or tried the combo and liked it or was just going on price.)

If price is your only driver right now, are you open to purchasing used vs. new? Used (tbass, Clist, eBay) you can get a lot more bang for your buck.

For approximately the prices on the links you supplied, you could purchase used an Ampeg 410He or 410HLF cab and Ampeg SVT-3pro head. Or even a GK cab and head (which are nice too). Would provide you with a little more flexibility in the long run.

Not sure if you are comfortable with used gear, but just a thought.

12. cornbrains

cornbrains

this is carvin.com selling bass full stacks. all are mixed the way you say should not be done. what gives?

http://www.carvinguitars.com/bassamps/brfullstacks.php

13. Zoa

Zoa

14. cornbrains

cornbrains

so, i got my equipment in the mail a couple of days ago. i took the advice given here and spent the extra money to get better speaker cabinet. so i am now rolling with the Ampeg PF-350 and the Ampeg PF-210HE. i love it so far. thanks for all of your input. the reason i got the 210 instead of the 410 was twofold, money and the fact that mostly i will be in quieter jamming scenarios.

so my question arises here. i do not jam very frequently with a drummer, however, i would like some feedback as to whether this setup will be loud enough for a jam with drummer and guitarist when the occasion arises. if not, what would be a nice final addition to the stack. i have seen info online concurring with the remarks on this thread that mixing speaker sizes is not optimal, so i would like to add another 210 if need be. however, i did not know if that would be another PF-210HE or what. any suggestions?

thanks again.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yes, another PF-210HE is the best choice for a 2nd cab. It will provide several great benefits, including cab coupling, which will increase your low end and overall volume. It will also drop your load from 8 ohms to 4 ohms, allowing the amp to operate at it's full rated output, 350 watts. This 350 watt 4x10 rig should hang with a rock band, drummer and all, unless the other players are unreasonable with their volume, (it happens). Otherwise, it's a solid rig.