1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg pf 500 settings

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Rhon, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Rhon

Rhon

So i recently got my ampeg pf500 and i put everything flat and it was sooooo quiet for 300 watts at 8ohms. my gk head is much louder at 140 watts at 8ohms. i did my gain setting and ended up on 2:00 before it started clipping and still it was very quiet. I used the same speaker cab for the comparison and the gk is by far much louder. I turned the master volume on the ampeg pf500 from 12 to 3:00 and it came to life and was immensely loud and rich. my question is, are these safe settings? Im scared of running it to hard and it failing on me, im running everything flat except a bump in the midrange at 3:00 with the selector on 2 is this gonna fry anything?

and to be clear:
    The 15 db pad was NOT pushed in
    I used the same bass, cable and cab each time
  2. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Don't be scuuur'd

Longer-term owners can and surely will answer, but I had a PF500 for a short period and also found that the master wasn't linear and most of the juice was on the right side of the dial. As long as your cabinet doesn't complain, you should be able to dime the master without worrying. If you have to do that, it's not enough amp for you, but it shouldn't fry anything.
  3. Rhon

Rhon

thank you! thats a relief and yea i feel like if i have to push it past 12 then i need more power
  4. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

With different amps, you can't necessarily go by the knob position, but I know what you mean.

So, does 3:00 give you what you need? If so, I'd think you're fine. It may well be that 50% of the volume is between 3:00 and full.
  5. T Dubbayew

T Dubbayew

I just got one of these amps as well and hooked it up to a single cab. It was super quiet until my guitarist found a button that drops 40 db engaged. Depressed that button and got a serious volume boost and was able to get a tone. You do have to crank the master volume for sure though and then play with the gain and compression to find a sweet spot. I find it helps to have both ultra lo and ultra high engaged as well.
  6. Sublab

Sublab

Ultra low and ultra high?

I found these settings to 'thin' out some of the punch of my P bass. When I engage the ultra low it leaves the thud ok, but takes away the boom. Smae for the ultra high, it just eats the presence to my ears.
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong though...

Either way, love this little amp!